Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed capped in first 10 days?

habile
Dabbler

Speed capped in first 10 days?

Hi,
Does anyone know if your speed is capped in the first 10 days regardless of sync speed?
DLM has dropped my margin to 3db which is great, giving me a sync speed of 21Mbps however no matter what the sync speed I cannot get throughput to go beyond 14.3Mbps.
My TalkTalk line is synced at 20Mbps and I get max throughput of 18Mbps so was just wondering if the training period put this cap in place or whether I may have either a router issue or for some reason Plusnet limiting the speed.
TIA
Chris
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed capped in first 10 days?

What does this say for Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The latest line report we have for your line was around 7am this morning and had a sync speed of 18871, therefore a profile of 16649 which is matched on our side.
What is the exact sync speed showing when you run a BT speedtest?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
habile
Dabbler

16.6!?
BT SpeedTest says 29.8Mbps... which is a little odd in itself!
habile
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
The latest line report we have for your line was around 7am this morning and had a sync speed of 18871, therefore a profile of 16649 which is matched on our side.
What is the exact sync speed showing when you run a BT speedtest?

Ah, OK, DLM changed the margin after that so I guess the profile will update at some point? Sorry, I'm used to LLU Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It should do, yes - just needs to be picked up on the supplier's side and then propagate to ours. Happy to check both for you in the morning if there's been no change, though to warn you it can take a couple of days.
habile
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the attention Smiley
It hasn't updated yet but I'm sure it will. I'm just so used to my LLU connection where evertying is pretty much instant albeit on a fixed 6db profile.
The page https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed confused me slightly in that I thought it was reflecting the actual sync speed and not the profile. Perhaps the explanatory text could be changed to avoid people like me getting it wrong...
Cheers
Chris
dick:quote
Estragon
Rising Star

This isn't over-relevant, but "My TalkTalk line is synced at 20Mbps and I get max throughput of 18Mbps" looks rather odd. Most ADSL2+ doesn't get above about 84% of syc and that is 90%.
Some IS suites can cause freak high results.  Kaspersky and Avira being two I have used that can. Do you use either?
habile
Dabbler

Don't use either of those, I have corporate host intrusion software which I disable for speed testing but mostly perform speed tests from my mail server which has only the Linux firewall.
For a 20Mbps sync I would expect 18Mpbs throughput max to be honest, at least that has been my experience on the LLU connection.
I just need to be patient and wait for the profile update and will expect to get around 18.4Mbps with my 21Mbps sync... we'll see Smiley
habile
Dabbler

Any idea how long a sync increase takes to reflect with plusnet?
I know a decrease in sync speed is probably immediate but my sync increased a couple of days ago, sync is 21.4Mbps, IP profile is 18.9 but Plusnet shows 16.6 still.
Not trying to push it forward but would just like to understand the timescales and also is it possible to 'fix' the profile so that it doesn't drop when I get the odd random low sync as I can on LLU?
Ta.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I suspect it'd have updated later today as I've just seen the increased profile on BTs side (now at 18767) though I've bumped it manually to 18700 on our side to match for you.
Regarding fixing the profile, we used to do be able to do this as part of a trial but since that ended I don't think we've the ability any more I'm afraid.
habile
Dabbler

Matt - thank you for the great service so far Smiley