cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and latency drop to make broadband unusable

Polo_o
Hooked

Speed and latency drop to make broadband unusable

Your broadband keeps dropping at random intervals to pathetic levels, and when running tests the latency is 700-800ms while the speed is 0.1 - 0.5mb. Usually we get 20-50ms and 14-16mb.

Restarting the router always improves things, but it's completely random when it occurs.

Is there anything we can do our end to improve things? We've got ADSL on a fixed ip. I've been trying the chat but the wait times have been over 45 minutes this afternoon and the connection seemed to cut me off, and I haven't been able to sit on the phone for longer times. 

Any ideas anyone?!

8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed and latency drop to make broadband unusable

It looks like you're often completely saturating the upload on your connection, this can cause the type of problems you're seeing and would explain why rebooting the router resolves this issue temporarily.

Can you try stopping anything uploading and see if your connection improves

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Polo_o
Hooked

That makes sense as I do use quite a few cloud services for photo backups etc which are always running & in sync.
Are there any settings that can be changed or anything to avoid the slow down?!?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Depending on what you use to do your backups, you may be able to set a speed limit on these.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Polo_o
Hooked

It's Google photos and Google drive, I can't remember seeing speed settings.

I've never had download issues when uploading with previous ISP, is any modem or profile settings on the account which can improve things?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have a look at https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/SUJe8y0oryA "How to limit the upload speed for Google Drive sync?? "

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Polo_o
Hooked

Isn't it the job of the router to manage traffic so one application or device doesn't kill the connection for everything? I've never encountered this problem before with other ISPs. 

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Isn't it the job of the router to ...

Configuring the router would be the best way to manage the traffic but that depends on the router capabilities and whether you are able to configure suitable policies.   If you can, then simply prioritising small packets is very effective.   Aside from that a better quality router wouldn't have the stupid buffering policy so you would still suffer from increased latency but maybe only 150 to 200ms instead of 800 or more.   The Plusnet supplied 2704N is particularly bad in this respect.

Polo_o
Hooked

Any recommendations of a better compatible router?