cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and Disconnect Problems

swedelong
Grafter

Speed and Disconnect Problems

I have had a nightmare with my (recently fairly good) service. I have a plusnet unlimited account and usually can get up to around 7.2MB when downloading (best case on Steam for example) or an average of around 3.5-4.0MB at other times.
Since Friday it has gone so that I can not even use youtube anymore. Speedtest.net averages around .4-.5MB at all times..... is this a result of Plan B? What does Plan B actually mean to the user????
I am also seeing tons of disconnects today hasn't been too bad (just the one, restarted the router) but last night, the serrvice was unusable. I have started a fault check, but don't hold out much hope... I've tried 2 different sockets. Different micro filters, I've unplugged everything from the other 2 phone sockets (SKY Boxes and microfilters)....gah!
I'm reluctant to get a new router, as I've done that before in the past (on plusnets advice) and found it to be nothing to do with the router.
I seem to get this every few months with plusnet and am at breaking point now.... can somebody please advise on what to do next...;..is it all due to the Plan B stuff and if so, when is that coming to an end...? Frustrated beyond belief....
jim:green thread split off and title change mod:end
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Latency and speed issues during peak times

Disconnects are nothing to do with Plusnet actions - Plan B notwithstanding - but with your connection to the exchange or your internal wiring.
When you say you have tried two different sockets have you tried the test socket behind the master socket removable lower faceplate
swedelong
Grafter

Re: Latency and speed issues during peak times

No,but I will try that out tomorrow.
As I said, Today seems to be far more stable, and before Friday, the service had been stable (and fast) for a good 4 months or so...
On the subject of Plan B.... does it account for my Speedtest.net speeds? (44KB was my last DL result - a normal 33KB was the UL result on the same test) and the inability to use youTube (even on low definition videos).....also is 'Plan B' in operation for everyone, everywhere (plusnet ADSL?)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed and Disconnect Problems

Plan B won't affect speed tests.
Given all your disconnects can you post your router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation - and also the Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
badwolf
Grafter

I too am seeing lots of disconnects. Not sync drops but PPP, also its pretty sluggish. Both started when "Plan B" was shoved into action.
Here's hoping it goes back to normal pretty soon! Undecided
swedelong
Grafter

Ok. My line speed is 6.5. (from the posted link)
Here are my router stats...a straight copy and paste from the router.
Monitoring Index:
More Info
ADSL Status Information:
Status
Data Rate Information
Defect/Failure Indication
Statistics

Configured
Current

Line Status
---
SHOWTIME

Link Type
---
Fast Path

[Go Top]

Data Rate:

Stream Type
Actual Data Rate

Up Stream
448 (Kbps.)

Down Stream
7616 (Kbps.)

[Go Top]

Operation Data / Defect Indication:
Operation Data
Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
13 dB
24 dB

Attenuation
10 dB
--- dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error

[Go Top]

Statistics:

Received Cells

Transmitted Cells

swedelong
Grafter

As mentioned, posted my router stats up there ^ ^ ^
Not sure what all the figures mean, if anyone can make sense of them I would appreciate it.
WIll be trying the master socket tonight, but not holding out much hope. A friend has lent me a brand new Belkin Modem (with 80.211n ! ) to see if the problem is with the router...
My wife has just called me at work to say the connection has gone again. It lasted 24 hours or so this time, so that's a little better at least... tried a speedtest.net run first thing... 24KBS DOWN(!) and 36KBS UP... first time I've ever seen my upspeed faster than my down!
Frustrated waiting for help here...
badwolf
Grafter

Sorry.. I assume you're using a wireless connection. What are your speeds like when plugged in via ethernet?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi swedelong,
I have just ran a line check and see 7616 sync and 6500 profile. I can't see why you shouldn't get the speed. I'd be interested to see what the other router does.
Jojo Smiley
swedelong
Grafter

Hi, thanks for that.
Haven't updated this thread since I played around last night.
Tried a friends router... no difference at all. Tried the master socket (in fact it is still plugged into the master socket... is that not a good idea?).. no difference.
I have had a response this morning from support saying that interleaving is being switched on... I'm a little bit sceptical though. Why would it drop from a perfect connection to abysmal overnight (last Friday)? Shouldn't the fault be found rather than adding something which improves error correction but affects performance... after all I was able to run for months without interleaving with no problems. Being a gamer, I would rather have performance there if possible.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Post deleted due to /me posting rubbish...  Crazy
swedelong
Grafter

Update: From good to bad to abysmal.
At 6pm last night, I ran speedtest.net and got 4.71MB Yay! Back to normal I thought...
By 8pm this was sub 1MB again
By 10pm-12pm this was sub 0.5MB again. (and dropping connection every 20 mins or so)
First thing this morning. 0.05MB (dial up speeds!!!)
Never seen speeds this poor on this service before....
Obviously none of my 'tweaking' has made any difference, so this morning, I put everything back the way it originally was:
Stopped using the test socket.
Plugged the 2 Sky boxes back into their extensions with their filters
I am so angry now. It's getting me down. As well as gaming, I am a programmer and sometimes need to support out of hours remotely. It's impossible for me to do that right now.
Is interleaving switched on yet?
Can somebody at Plusnet please look into what is going on with my ticket please???    Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi swedelong,
I've managed to get one of the faults guys to pick it up, hopefully we can some action and an update shortly.
Jojo Smiley
swedelong
Grafter

Thankyou very much Jojo. I got the call. I'm trying the borrowed router again, but leaving it in longer this time....
If it does turn out to be the router, do plusnet provide replacements as part of the package? I've been a plusnet user for around 5 years now, would I have to pay for one?
Thanks for helping to escalate...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi swedelong,
We could send you a router. We would only charge you £4.99 for P&P upfront but we would defer the cost of the router (£40) for 12 months and then waive the cost after this time. If you would like to go ahead with that then register a card on your account and I will take the P&P and send one out.
Jojo Smiley