cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and BRAS profile

jjaycee1
Grafter

Speed and BRAS profile

Last Friday I had yet another engineer visit to deal with water ingress in the box on the pole near my house. This is a problem that has been ongoing for months now, and causes instability and constant dropping of speeds on my connection.
After a storm on 13 Nov I had 5 resyncs in a couple of hours. I then contacted PN and it was agreed via Faults dept Jordon Chivers that an engineer needed to address the water ingress problem. From the 14 Nov thru to last friday 21 Nov i was happy to report that the line had become completely stable and I was connected at 2752kbps via a resync on 16 Nov. My IP profile was 2mbps which is correct for that sync speed (see attachment). That was the stable data right up to the engineers vist on friday 21 Nov. When the engineer came he removed the adsl wire from the router to do his tests and it remained out of the router until he finished his fault finding and pole box work. He returned to the house and we plugged the adsl wire back in to the router. I connected at 2816. He asked me to do a speed test and I noted that i was downloading slower than before he toook the adsl wire out to start his tests. I contacted PN who said my profile was now 1.75mbps. I asked them to reset my profile to 2mbps as that is what it should be with my sync speed(see attachment). On Saturday morning I was told the bras setting would be adjusted and it would take 4 hours to come thru. Nothing happened so I called again at 1pm and  was told that due to maintenance work at PN no existting fault problems could be reviewed until after 5pm.
I called this morning and the PN rep said that my profile could not be changed, that the current 1.75mbps was correct for the sync speed etc. I strongly disagreed so I have told them to do a rest and I will go from there.
My complaint is about the different answers I get from whichever rep I get to speak to. I have ben told that PN do not do "fixed speed", wrong.. I have been on a fixed speed. I am told PN cannot adjust the bras.. wrong they have done it many times when I have done a BT wholesale test and it says I am on a 2-2.5mbps IP profile but PN have on  a lower ons, so they reset it so it jives correctly with the BT one.
All I want is the rep to listen to customer instead of coming back constantly with differeing opinions on what can be done or cannot be done etc. If a customer has an ongoing problem via a ticket, they should be put thru to the Faults dept straightaway and speak to someone who understands the problems and can answer factually on what can or cannot be done.
In frustration I have asked PN to do a line reset this morning, which is NOT what I really wanted but seemed the only way to get my frustration resolved.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Speed and BRAS profile

Hi Jon,
as per PM. I suspect there maybe a bit of confusion somewhere - but whatever, it's not satisfactory, so let's get straight to the nitty-gritty.
If it's the 582n you are currently using can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats, otherwise from whichever modem/router you are using.
I know you've done this but for the record can you run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Can you also post your Current Line speed (Login required) (but not your phone number).
jjaycee1
Grafter

Hi. I attach PNets current line speed
Bt wholesale test + the response from Further Diagnostics.. which never completes because ut says there are errors in sending data.
Regarding modem/router details I can only send my telnet data which shows current speeds etc and I will also show the status for the last 1day 20 hrs since I was reconnected after the engineer visit last friday.
Anotherone
Champion

That is a real pain in the neck that this BT Wholesale Test issue has not been fixed, that means you can't check whether your own current IP profile is correct. For the current sync speed, as you know it ought to be 2.00Mbps but judging by what you are saying and the speedtest result, it might be at 1.75.
Now the IP Profile and the bRAS profile are theoretically equivalent values but note these are both values on BT equipment. Plusnet cannot actually adjust the bRAS, I suspect that you are getting this confused with the Current Line Speed which they can set to match the BT IP Profile. In your case the Current Line Speed is set at 3Mbps, so that is not causing the slowdown.
However, sometimes a mismatch occurs within BT's systems and the IP Profile and the bRAS value can be different. BTw can usually correct this, however I don't know if there are any mismatches at the moment, someone from CRT will need to check.
On 20CN exchanges it can take 5 days for the DLM to adjust the IP Profile up one band from the band below, and it can still often take 3 days even for larger changes. As your repair was done on Friday, if at any during that work and testing, the speed was between 2016 & 2240 then the profile would have immediately dropped to 1.75 and would take 5 days from then to go back up. This could be what may have happened.
If that is what happened then a line reset would be the quickest way of resolving this.
But that is no excuse for you not having the situation correctly explained and someone from CRT should listen to your call.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just an observation about the BTW further diagnostic test - although it is very much a BT product  Roll_eyes it sometimes takes a long time apparently stuck on the 'sending results to server' page before displaying the results - don't abandon all hope until it actually tells you the test has failed.
Anotherone
Champion