Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed & ping with current ISP before moving to plusnet

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Speed & ping with current ISP before moving to plusnet

Im currently moving from bt to plusnet broadband my plusnet broadband wont be ready for a few days yet.  BT own plusnet and currently with bt i get these speeds below..

Normaly i ping between 30-35 and have done for 18 months with BT.
My question is will i get the same speeds and pings with plusnet as plusnet is owned by BT?
I really hope i dont get any less.
The reason i ask this, is because i online game alot each evening in Battlefield 3 and id hate to have poorer speeds and higher pings.
12 REPLIES 12
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Speed & ping with current ISP before moving to plusnet

All things being equal, you should get the same speed and pings.
As for BF3, I deleted the game last night, never to be played again. It is the most frustrating game I have ever played. One night killing anything that moves, the next night can't hit a barn door at 10 paces.
St3
Aspiring Champion

well james i rent 2 servers for a small fun community i run and i enjoy running and fragging on them Wink Plus the missus is out on the lash tonight which means pizza,beer and bf3 for me Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Nice one, Cool
Which servers do you run, if I calm down a bit and decide to put BF3 back on, I will look them up.
St3
Aspiring Champion

JamesM
Grafter

Ste, when you are up and running with PN, ask for interleaving to be turned off. My ping used to be around 35 before interleaving was turned off.
St3
Aspiring Champion

yer no worries, will that still help me as i can only get adsl in my part of the country. Also what is it and whats it normally do...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Interleaving is a method of error correction coding but it introduces lag, which I expect you realise you want to be as low as possible in gaming. I'm guessing, but you should see better pings on your line with it off.
St3
Aspiring Champion

is there any other downside to having it switched off? And can it be turned back on if needed? will it cost to have it turned back on ?  if its turned off can it be turned on again and if so would i have to pay for that ?
not to be cheeky but aliitle more info would help Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

It very much depends on individual line conditions, but in most cases some error rates increase a bit. On difficult lines it could make them unstable or error rates so large that the retransmission of data causes a significant slow down in throughput and can introduce more lag.
It doesn't cost anything to have it turned off (or on). A request made on here usually has a 24hr turn around (Mon-Fri).
Anotherone
Champion

Run a few pingtests (mine with interleaving as an example)
and by pinging from a cmd prompt, to bbc.co.uk and ntp.plus.net both at off-peak and peak times. Save the results.
Do this before and after moving, before and after turning off interleaving. That way you will have something to compare.
St3
Aspiring Champion

Yer cool good idea!
Still waiting on a plusnet staff to answer my first post here, i would like to see if they say ill still get same connections.
x47c
Grafter

I believe though that BTOpenreach do charge Plusnet for switching interleaving off on a line - Plusnet just don't pass it on.
There was a thread on here a fair while ago (~year?) when a poster wanted interleaving turned off on a line which was clearly unsuited to having interleaving off and needed it fully on to maintain stability on the line and reduce the error count to an acceptable level.  So the exchange equipment merely switched interleaving on again automatically after a bit of operation. 
Whereupon the poster was back on here wanting it switched off again. 
Not suprisingly there came a time when Plusnet gave due warning that they would not let this continue and would decline further requests to switch it off in future from this poster.