Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Suggestions.

OshB5
Grafter

Re: Speed Suggestions.

Hi Again Sorry to be a pain..
Also was reading another post on here And it said that If you wanted to change something on the modem It was best to press the Disconnect button in the modems GUI? Which I have shown below . So I just press the Disconnect button.at the bottom of the page to the right hand side?
Awww [Censored] I pressed it by mistake now Aggggg
System :
Alias Name :  ADSL Modem/Router
Uptime :  6 days, 6:37
Firmware Version :  1.02
DSP Version :  2.9.0.4
DNS Server :  212.159.6.10, 212.159.6.9
Default Gateway :  ppp0
DSL :
Operational Status :  ADSL2,SHOWTIME.L0
Upstream Speed :  440 kbps
Downstream Speed :  5479 kbps
LAN Configuration :
IP Address :  192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask :  255.255.255.0
DHCP Server :  Enabled
MAC Address :  000cf6b829e4
WAN Configuration :
Interface VPI/VCI Encap Protocol IP Address Default Gateway Status
ppp0 0/38 VCMUX PPPoA 84.92.13.45 195.166.128.196 up 11:55:45 / 6days,06:35:13
                                                                                                                                                    (Disconnect)
                                                                                                                                                    (REFRESH)

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hitting "Disconnect" will do just that - disconnect. Doing so won't affect your line in any way, it's just rebooting the router several times in quick succession that would cause DLM to "think" your line is unstable, and slow you down to try to compensate.
You should request your upstream is uncapped, though. Should make a big difference.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
You should request your upstream is uncapped, though. Should make a big difference.

Thanks for the reply and the info Brian.
As for what you have said above about the upstream being uncapped. I dont know about this Do I just ask Chris to do it? and if he does could it cause any adverse effects  to check for as well as improvements?
Also I will have to ask about the interleaving and If it is removed what could happen Simply because of not having it on ever as far as I know its taking some getting used to as well as the "DAD summuts ups wi net again" I keep getting from the daughter LOL (in one ear out of the other syndrome me thinks) 
Also I think My original Woo Smiley after the SNRM reset when I saw the speed increase shown on the modem. I.e that is
Original 3296Kbps  Atttain  3002Kbps Rate to the new  and now shown 6212Kbps Attain and 5479KBPs Rate
Was a little premature. That is to say in my downloads I have actually seen no difference. I use Filezilla to transfer media daily but at the moment the transfers still only add up to around the 300Kbps mark stats page
Is there something I should have done after the SNRM reset , Like reset the modem or do something like that?. Because I did not I just carried on as normal
I did not unplug, reset  or refreshing anything? .
Trouble is im feeling a bit like a stalker now as I seam to be asking and asking question after question Embarrassed
Regs Osh.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Assuming you are using Filezilla to upload files, then the capped upload will definitely slow that down. Usually the staff on here are quick to respond to uncap requests, but if you can't wait until Monday, give them a call.
OshB5
Grafter

Thanks Jaggies
Its not that much of a urgency. So I will wait till Monday..
Im also going to try and sort out a new modem this weekend if I can.As im having a few in home network issues with this Sitecom WLM2501 that I need to deal with and will be asking it in another part of the forum.. Huh
Regs Osh
OshB5
Grafter

Hello Chris
I dont know if anything has happened to my SNR at your end. But we have just got back in after visiting some friends only to find first of all no wifi?. Then when I got the pc plugged in over wired there was No network. Not even the router GUI would come up. All the lights where on and in all the right places. So nothing for it I had to power the sitecom down. I just hope its not been playing up and messing with my ISP connection since we went out just after quarter past 2 this afternoon.
I really wanted to persevere with it till tomorrow as Iv ordered a new one to for come then. Ahggggggg best laid plans LOL
So Iv had to put the Linksys WAG354G V2 back in..
Now the Downstream  Margin in the Stats is playing up One second its like this

DSL Status:  Up  
      DSL Modulation Mode:  NOT TRAINED  
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED  
      Downstream Rate:  4624 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:  445 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:  2147483647 db  
      Upstream Margin:  20 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  51  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  30  
      Downstream Transmit Power:  0  
      Upstream Transmit Power:  0  
PVC Connection
    Encapsulation:  RFC 2364 PPPoA  
      Multiplexing:  VC  
      QoS:  UBR  
      PCR Rate:  0  
      SCR Rate:  0  
      Autodetect:  Disable  
      VPI:  0   
      VCI: 38   
      Enable:  Yes  
      PVC Status:  Applied  

Then the next like this..
                DSL Status:  Up  
      DSL Modulation Mode:  NOT TRAINED  
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED  
      Downstream Rate:  4429 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:  445 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:  1 db  
      Upstream Margin:  21 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  52  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  30  
      Downstream Transmit Power:  0  
      Upstream Transmit Power:  0  
PVC Connection
    Encapsulation:  RFC 2364 PPPoA  
      Multiplexing:  VC  
      QoS:  UBR  
      PCR Rate:  0  
      SCR Rate:  0  
      Autodetect:  Disable  
      VPI:  0   
      VCI: 38   
      Enable:  Yes  
      PVC Status:  Applied

Osh
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: OshB5
Now the Downstream  Margin in the Stats is playing up One second its like this
Downstream Margin: 2147483647 db
Then the next like this..
Downstream Margin: 1 db

The first value is your router mis-reporting a negative value. Netgear routers (used to) do this, so I imagine your Linksys uses the same chip-set.
The 1dB value is therefore very close to the huge value, but in any case it looks like your target margin is way too low for your line, probably at 3dB - if you resynch while there is noise on the line, or in the dark, you will get insufficient margin to maintain your connection.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Brian
Well it was dark by the time we got back home last night.when we had no internet so could not do anything else other than to put the old linksys back in.
Or I would have been without internet for the rest of the evening and today till the new unit comes.
You said this it is a quirk of an old chip-set right?. BUT I had never seen it or noticed it before? Could it have something to do with having interleaving switched on now
because as far as I was aware it was not switched on before Chris did the SNRM reset for me(Well I dont think so anyway lol)
Also working with the interleaving on is like walking through warm sticky chocolate thats starting to solidify and is taking some getting used to. And I have been wondering what it would be like should I have it switched back off. That is to say what are the pros and cons???
Thanks again regards Osh
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Interleaving is a form of error correction - Kitz has a full explanation.
Hopefully your new router will resolve the issue.  Cool
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'd not made any changes over the weekend to your line.
Has everything returned to normal now?
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Chris
Everything just stopped again like Saturday night? I had been using the network this morning till about 8am. Then when I came to try and use the net again at around half eleven there it was again limited connection showing on all networks  interfaces. Yet the GUI on the Linksys said the DSL was up?.
Thats where I felt I had to ring you and see if you could see anything from your end rather than keep trying..To switch off and back on again..
And apparently since I put the linksys in on Saturday evening the connection has been like a yoyo till I took it out today because it failed..Your guy wanted me to put the Sitecom back in. Which althouth it was dead on Sat evening it came back up and worked. so that is in till the new one comes which should have been today but no it did not arrive...
Can you pass on my thanks to your guy in the DCT that helped me today on the phone. thanks again.
regs Andy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know you got that sorted Andy.
I'll pass on your thanks.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

@ OshB5 - did you get the new router yet?
OshB5
Grafter

Hello Jaggies
Yes got a new modem/router It came from Ebuyer. However I put it in and it lasted all of a day. That is to say last night it threw a wobbly at around 11pm or so my daughter told me. I ended getting up and switching it off and resetting everything back to factory at about 1.30am to got it back up. Because I could not get onto the modems GUI either by WiFi or Ethernet?. But after rebooting and starting it back up every thing then seamed to be working fine that was untill around 1.30pm So I logged into the modem router but every time I logged in via WiFi it said the internet was down. But once logged on via ethernet it was all working fine. So I did a DSL disconnect via the modems GUI and restarted the WiFi But that did not work and the WiFi is still reporting "No Internet connection". I then had a brainwave as the last two problems had been around 1.30 am and pm. So I wondered if it was something to do with the lease time  but I could not find anything?
Anyway that all said the New modem router is working in as far as but only via ethernet so Out it came and Iv packed it up ready to go back. Its about this time when I started to think what I had seen and been told. That a separate modem and separate router might be a better way of going  forward?..
Hi Chris
Right till I have sorted out either a Modem and a separate  Router or another modem router. Im just going to keep a eye on the connection Then when its been in a week or so and working fine I might ask you to have a look at the line again and see what you think and if you think anything needs doing or altering . That being If all the disconnections through the bad modems and such has caused the SNR to go up and stay up Or if it looks like its going to come back down. Iv just had a look and its at just over 8 at the moment?
Regards Osh
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Osh,
8 is generally fine - nothing I would worry about if I'm being honest. I'd be happy to take a look at your connection in a week or so for you.