Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Profile change

lonestag
Hooked

Speed Profile change

Hello
Can you adjust my  profile as currently I am receiving 6mbps but according to the BT line test I am able to acheive a Higher sync........Bt says a my line is capable of 12.5mbps and I am on the extra broadband deal which is suppose to supply upto 16mbps......
thanks Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
x47c
Grafter

Re: Speed Profile change

Can you post your router's line statistics and speedtest results....all as described in this post below
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
which is the sticky'd post 3rd from the top on this forum entitled "Speed faults - information needed to help diagnosis"
Then someone might be in a better postion to say what you line should be capable of and whether or not your low speeds are due to a fault of some form.
gazz1e

I've got the exact same issue. My line is supposed to (and has) 11Mbps connections for the past few months.
In the last few weeks my speed has dropped to 7Mbps. I raised an issue with support last Thursday who said "that the speed profiles on your connection did not match". The profiles were reset and I got told to restart my router. My speed immediately went back to 11Mbps.
The following day my speed dropped down to 6.6Mbps and has been that ever since. I've raised the issue with Plusnet support who have told me to go through "Slow Speed Help" checking my connection, trying a replacement router, connecting to my test socket, different micro filters. This has peeved me off considering Plusnet fixed it "from their end" just a few days before, yet they think the sudden change is down to my end.
I'm getting on my soap box now...
I expect most visitors on this forum are quite savvy when getting the best out of their ADSL line. I expect there's many users (grannies and granddads?) who do not know this issue has occurred with their line and won't complain. In addition to fixing these speed profiles, Plusnet should explain how these faults occur in the first place.
When I joined Plusnet, I didn't mind paying "that bit extra" as I believed Plusnet was a superior ISP compared with TalkTalk. I was with TalkTalk prior to joining Plusnet (for 6 years!), and I've never had to contact technical support as much as I do now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@gazz1e
On the face of it, it sounds like you have a problem causing you to lose sync with the exchange. No ISP has control over your equipment, or the wires to the exchange, nor can they remotely break or repair exchange equipment -  and all of this can go faulty at any time.
When a fault occurs and you lose sync, you can end up syncing at a lower speed with the exchange - and the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) will lower your profile to match the current sync speed. This is reflected in the profile set at the Plusnet end. If then later have another resync and connect again at a higher speed, the profile should go up to match. Sometimes the profiles do not go up automatically and have to be reset.
Would needs to be done is find out why your connection is dropping in the first place.
I would suggest you start your own thread, so that your data doesn't get confused with the original poster in this thread and post the same information as advised in reply #1, but there is no need to plug into the test socket at this time, let's see what is going on first.
gazz1e

I've already reported the fault to Plusnet, no need to create another new thread on the forum. The reason for my post was to confirm I also had a speed profile issue (as confirmed by Plusnet support) like the original poster.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@lonestag
I've just run a line test which shows that you're currently picking up a synch speed of 6873kbps and hence an IP profile of 6063kbps.
The connection itself looks stable at the moment  so that's not an issue.
the BT line test
can you clarify what you mean by that please? I can't honestly see that you've achieved speeds beyond 5.5 or 6mb in the past.
@gazz1e You've done the right thing to log a fault you should have a reply to your fault ticket ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team