Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

puddy
Grafter

Re: iplate

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Cloudmaster,
The function of the iPlate is to prevent the feed of the Ring signal (Pin 3) from the Test Socket to the front plate of the NTE5,
R

BT I-plate does more than disconnect the ring wire.
BT spent months in R&D on the I-plate if all it did was to disconnects the orange wire it would have been cheaper to put a note in your bill giving instructions to cut the wire yourself ,if you’re going to fit an I-plate you take the front cover off BT box anyway.
and if it does as you say nothing more than that why have my fec errors reduced by up to 96% I had already cut the ring wire years ago.
if the ring wire is still causing problem why do BT engineers still connect the ring wire when adding or installing master sockets and extra extensions?
puddy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: puddy
Quote from: pierre_pierre
you should never double filter any devices.

once again you are talking rubbish
some dect phones need double filtering.

unlike you I checked this out with plusnet who said no devices should be double filtered ever!!!!
no dect phone need to be double filtered in fact my dect phone is both a BT landline phone and a voip in one
now who talking rubbish?
Puddy

You.
I would have thought that you would have been one of the first to know that you don't always get the correct answer when you contact CSC.
There have been posts in the past in these forums where people have tried umpteen filters and been unable to solve their problems until they double filter their DECT phone. It shouldn't be necessary and probably points to a problem with the phone, but if it's worked for other people it's worth trying in spite of the theory that it shouldn't help.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Doctor am I in trouble - I live 1.5 km from exchange, I dont have a master socket so cant fit an I plate, I have a 40 year old small white socket only.  I sinc at 8128 and have a 7150 profile, what should I do Puddy

easy question fit the right socket or get BT to change it for you and fit an i-plate while he's their
puddy
doctors dont arrive in BT vans so why ask your doctor ??????

Yet more rubbish from Puddy!
You are suggesting that people spend money by replacing the socket or getting BT in when they are already syncing at the maximum speed possible with the maximum profile.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well said jelv. Additionally if an Openreach engineer calls to fit a new master linebox, you do NOT need an i-plate as that functionality is built in to the latest version of the linebox.
@okmbok
Hi there, I see you have tried another router, unfortunately the stats that you posted from that speedtouch did not include the attenuation figures. Could you try it again and post just the ADSL stats (sync speed, attenuation, SNRM both down & up). Also I hope you read my previous post (#53) thoroughly. There are a number of things that you have so far not mentioned or not clearly stated, so if you could address all those things.
Could you also please answer the following - Has all your testing been done plugged into the "Test" socket (as shown in the picture in post #11)? Do you have any fixed extension sockets, and if so how many? You mentioned about your previous good sync speed when plugged into an extension 20m away in post #8.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: HPsauce
you should never double filter any devices.

I would genuinely be very interested in your rationale for that as it's so different to my personal experience.

After the "tetchy" exchanges above I note that, directly or indirectly, there's still no answer to this question.
Personally I'll still recommend people try double-filtering as I've personally seen it benefit.  Wink
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@okmbok
Hi there, I see you have tried another router, unfortunately the stats that you posted from that speedtouch did not include the attenuation figures. Could you try it again and post just the ADSL stats (sync speed, attenuation, SNRM both down & up). Also I hope you read my previous post (#53) thoroughly. There are a number of things that you have so far not mentioned or not clearly stated, so if you could address all those things.
Could you also please answer the following - Has all your testing been done plugged into the "Test" socket (as shown in the picture in post #11)? Do you have any fixed extension sockets, and if so how many? You mentioned about your previous good sync speed when plugged into an extension 20m away in post #8.

All test where at test socket or directly on master socket plate. ( I dont have any other extensions connected to master socket).  I cant do anymore tests because I have done my back in and I am in loads of pain ( and my boss wants me back at work tomorrow!)....I will wait till im better before I can retest again.  PS how do u double filter dect phones?
Merry Xmas
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: okmbok
how do u double filter dect phones?

Recipe. No cooking required Cool
Ingredients:
1 * DECT phone base station
2 * ADSL filters
1 * BT phone socket
How to assemble dish:
1. Plug phone lead into an unused filter.
2. Plug that filter into the 2nd unused filter.
3. Plug 2nd filter into phone socket.
4. Ensure phone has power
5. Verify phone works.
Note: Only connect broadband modem/router cable to the filter directly plugged into the phone socket.  Roll_eyes
puddy
Grafter

Doctor am I in trouble - I live 1.5 km from exchange, I dont have a master socket so cant fit an I plate, I have a 40 year old small white socket only.  I sinc at 8128 and have a 7150 profile, what should I do Puddy
Yet more rubbish from Puddy!
You are suggesting that people spend money by replacing the socket or getting BT in when they are already syncing at the maximum speed possible with the maximum profile.

BT will replace your 40 year socket free of charge dont call a doctor have you seen how much the charge per hour?
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when I asked recently, they only replace it if it is faulty, at the moment mine isnt. they did years ago fit a plug in socket to the incomming box with
GPO on the outside
mal0z
Grafter

BT will replace your 40 year socket free of charge dont call a doctor have you seen how much the charge per hour?
puddy

I'm not sure - when I contacted BT by email - on this very subject of replacing an old PO junction box I received an email that said"
"Thank you for your e-mail  about phone line.
The visit charge will be £116.33
Socket charge will be £52.50
Please give me the BT account number and telephone to arrange the engineer visit.
If you should have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me again via e-mail.
Thank you for contacting BT."

So who i do you contact in BT to get a free replacement . I gave up trying phoning - so resorted to email.
there must be hundreds of thousand of homes in the UK with old PO wiring & junction boxes.
Santiago
Grafter

and it's BT equipment that should be upgraded at no cost to us the customers! They get the income from the broadband service so the kit should be appropriate for the service being supplied and paid for.
I want a free replacement.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: HPsauce
Your line length (attenuation) suggests 4 to 4.5mbps is reasonable.
A 12dB SNRM certainly won't help achieve that but probably wouldn't, on it's own, reduce your speed to half.

An 3db increase in target SNR will typically reduce your sync speed by 800kbps or so. If okmbok's SNR level was originally set to the default level of 6db then the increase to almost 15db is going to have dropped the sync speed by about 2.5Mbps (which seems to me to be consistent with what's being reported).
Quote from: okmbok
Is Plusnet offering any good deals on the BT-iplate?

Not to my knowledge. We did have a batch of 200 or so a while back but they've all been sent out now. It's not easy for us to order them on the fly either as I don't think we've got an eCatalogue account. If you're after one then I'd suggest grabbing one from eBay or another third party retailer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Not to my knowledge. We did have a batch of 200 or so a while back .

Bob can you answer the question on double filtering  I have seen answer by tech support that it should not be done and could make the line more unstable
Merry Xmas
Puddy
mal0z
Grafter

Where is a practising electronic engineer when you need one ? .
It's over thirty years since I was at college studying telecomms., and my memory on high pass, low pass and band pass filters is hazy  Sad
But when you double filter the telephone line, you never double filter the ADSL line. So unless the  impedances are mismatched, then it should not affect the ADSL side. I suppose its down to the quality of the filters ?. Are they inductor / capacitor , or resistor / capacitor filters ??.
Sorry if that is double dutch to many - or I my memory fails me.
If PN don't have any electronic engineers, can they contact the research guys at BT Labs in Martlesham  and get some definitive answers for us please.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

As Confucius once said, It is better to light one candle than to forever curse the darkness.
http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
.... and as usual, the answer is "It depends...."
Merry Christmas