Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: iplate

Well for what its worth, here's my threepennyworth...
Latest stats from  the OP show a change in DS attenuation from 52dB to 47dB, and Noise margin from 12dB to 14db. This strongly suggests a potential connection/noise on the line problem (although there is a firmware upgrade in between this shouldn't cause this disparity).
I

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2016 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 14 db
Noise Margin 11 db 20 db

Those line stats look a little strange to me. There is, I think too much differential between the Upstream  and Downstream Attenuation. Would you not expect something closer to a 2:1 ratio ? Tends to confirm the quote above that there is a connection/noise problem which is causing a higher than expected Downstream attenuation... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: okmbok
Is Plusnet offering any good deals on the BT-iplate?

They cost less than £15 now if it does not work sell it on ebay
Quote from: Oldjim
If the router is connected to the test socket with nothing else connected and you see no improvement then the iplate won't help

My router is on its own and it did help.  My fec errors are 0 thats for 12 days up time so i know it works and i have had no dropped connections.
Quote from: jelv
I've seen posts suggesting that Dect phones should be double filtered. .

you should never double filter any devices.
In addition some dect phones double up as voip phones and BT phones in one handset they dont interfere with download/noise on your router
You could ring 150 ask if theirs a fault on your line but dont say anything about download or internet speeds because they will tell you to go back to plusnet, they will do a line check on the line for you at no extra cost
puddy
okmbok
Grafter

Date Download Speed Upload Speed 
Today 11:04 1107 kbps (138kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s)

Connection Speed 1984 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 4 db 20 db
pierre_pierre
Grafter

once again you are talking rubbish
some dect phones need double filtering.
if you put the Iplate on and then a filter splitter you have two
paulby
Grafter

It's quite safe to double filter the phone side and, as has been mentioned, it's been known to solve some problems with DECT phones.
What puddy is right in saying though is that you should never double filter the modem side - there should only be one filter between the modem and the incoming line. (The ADSL signal is stripped from the phone side of a filter.)
An iPlate isn't a true ADSL filter - it merely disconnects the ring wire and it may have some filter components to remove noise but it doesn't separate the voice signal from the ADSL (you'd need a true filtered faceplate to do that).

Cloudmaster
Grafter

After reading all the posts in this thread, my understanding is that the only function of the BT faceplate is to pass through the ring circuit to the phone socket.  It also seems that modern phones (I have a DECT cordless) don't need this ring circuit.
If that's the case why aren't we all (at least those who have an NTE5 & modern phone) just removing the faceplate & connecting to the internal socket?
(Am I talking nonsense?)
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Cloudmaster,
The function of the iPlate is to prevent the feed of the Ring signal (Pin 3) from the Test Socket to the front plate of the NTE5, Since the users extenston wiring is connected to the front plate, this prevents the Ring signal being propagated to the extension wiring.
The same result can be achieved by disconnecting the Extension Ring Wire from the Front plate. There is one exception which occurrs because the Ring Signal is still present on the socket on the front plate. If extension wiring or indeed a phone is plugged in here, the Ring signal will be propagated to that circuit. This may explain Puddy's experience.
Despite the good intentions of everybody on this thread, I would still like a straight answer from PlusNet to the OP's original question about whether PlusNet will offer the iPlate.
R
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: puddy

I would genuinely be very interested in your rationale for that as it's so different to my personal experience.
okmbok
Grafter

Noise Margin 12 db 20 db
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: okmbok

That is abnormal as has been pointed out earlier. Usually it's pretty much around a 2:1 ratio.
okmbok
Grafter

Noise Margin 13 db 20 db

Date Download Speed Upload Speed 
Today 18:40 1179 kbps (147kB/s) 352 kbps (44kB/s)
okmbok
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
The Connection checks could not be completed
Test result summary: Inconclusive
We have not been able to complete the checks of your broadband service. This may be the result of a fault in the testing system rather than your service.
We will continue to monitor your fault, please provide more information or further updates on the occurance of your fault. If your fault has not re-occured since our testing, please close the ticket and confirm that you are satisfied that the problem is no longer occuring.Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
okmbok
Grafter

Connection Speed 1920 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 47 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 20 db
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre

once again you are talking rubbish
some dect phones need double filtering.

unlike you I checked this out with plusnet who said no devices should be double filtered ever!!!!
no dect phone need to be double filtered in fact my dect phone is both a BT landline phone and a voip in one
now who talking rubbish?
Puddy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Doctor am I in trouble - I live 1.5 km from exchange, I dont have a master socket so cant fit an I plate, I have a 40 year old small white socket only.  I sinc at 8128 and have a 7150 profile, what should I do Puddy

easy question fit the right socket or get BT to change it for you and fit an i-plate while he's their
puddy
doctors dont arrive in BT vans so why ask your doctor ??????