cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

okmbok
Grafter

Speed Problems

Is Plusnet offering any good deals on the BT-iplate?
Its the least they could do with the shocking service.  When I first started with f9 I had 3-3.5Mb now i get 1-1.5Mb (same hardware).
Very dissapointed to say the least.
123 REPLIES 123
James
Grafter

Re: iplate

Hello,
Have you posted about your poor speeds before?  I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen anything from you before and to say that it's simply a shocking service is a touch on the vague side Smiley
Have you tried connecting directly into the test socket on your master socket?  Have you tried replacing your filter and [possibly trying to use a different modem or router to see if the connection speeds remain the same?
I've just run a check on your connection and it looks like there's a bit of noise on your line, giving some connection errors and a slightly higher than usual noise margin.  Could you please try some of the things I suggested above and we'll see where we can go from there.
By the way, and I'm sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs - we have absolutely no control over your synchronisation speed.  that's entirely down to the connection from your router to the BT exchange.
link:speed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Deleted - James types too fast  Grin
Santiago
Grafter

As well as following James's advice
Have a read of these articles.
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
Disconnecting the bellwire solved my speed/connection/stabilty issues.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen anything from you before

Previous post June 2007
okmbok
Grafter

I have done all that...Switched my router on/off over consective days etc...Router connected to master socket etc. done.  Its only in the last year or so that my speeds have dropped. The iplate seems to solve some ppls slow connection speeds.  Therefore back to my original question.  Will Plusnet be supplying the iplate. Yes or No?
Thanks if you can answer this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If the router is connected to the test socket with nothing else connected and you see no improvement then the iplate won't help
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Is it just the throughput that you are seeing reduced or your synch speed?
What is the status of your exchange? http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Is it just the throughput that you are seeing reduced or your synch speed?
What is the status of your exchange? http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

synch speed has reduced since plusnet took over.  I used to get 5-6Mbs even when my router was connected to a extension 20m FROM ms
Checked exchange status.  currently RED. The ETA fix time is: 11 Jan 09 
Red  01 Dec 08 
Red 24 Nov 08 
Green 17 Nov 08 
Green 10 Nov 08 
Red  03 Nov 08
I guess its F$%^ing BT again
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The exchange being red has nothing to do with your synch speed.
Can you provide the stats we have been asking for.
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The exchange being red has nothing to do with your synch speed.
Can you provide the stats we have been asking for.

Synch speed has dropped.  I know actual d/l / uplad speeds will be less than synch speeds.  I just cant understand the massive drop in synch speeds reslting in poor d/l speeds.  I want to try the iplate see if that helps my snr.  Removing the bellwire might not be eonough ( IIRC there is additional filtering in the iplate) ?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

We are going round in circles.
If you connect the router to the test socket this removes your internal wiring and also the ring wire from the connection.
Once you do this we need to know the attenuation, noise margin and synch speeds both up and down. With this information it is possible that the reason for your low speeds will show itself.
Mark
Grafter

Hi there.
Sorry to hear that you're having problems. Clearly from what we know already some kind of fault exists. Before we even get close to looking at an iplate we need to learn a bit more about your problem. The iplate is not the be all and end all of adsl fault resolution.
There are many helpful and kowledgeable people in the forum community who will help you get to the bottom of this quickly. If thats not the way you wish to go then raise a fault report to our support team and we'll take it from there. Or you could always do both. Either way we'll get this identified and fixed. Smiley
P.S we didnt take F9 over. We'vd always owned it.

samuria
Grafter

If you have no extensions or the extensions are plunged into  the socket as opposed to hardwired then the Iplate in theory shouldn't make any difference. Note I said in theory as in practice it blocks the noise at the master socket if you just have normal filters then they may be at the end of the line so you have the line as an Ariel.
What you need is a high speed modem cable which you can get from currys or any other good shop this has a multi insulated twisted pair and gold connections with a super braid on the outside and connects from the socket to your router. This is the cable often forgotten and is normally very poor quality and picks up noise and reduces speed  because this is what the router sees as the line. I have just got one and its made a difference straight away reducing noise and everything
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think if the OP could post some router stats (sync speed, attenuation, SNRM both down & up) we might be able to offer more informed advise. Also do you hear any noise on your phone line when using a hard wired phone with no other phones/extension wiring connected.