cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

joev84

Speed Problems

Hi,
I had some speed problems , so i went through the plus net troubleshooting guide and it suggested i tried a different router,
so i did and now it works fine.
The router i am now using is Sky, so shall i carry on using it? Or shall i get a new PlusNet router?
Thanks Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Speed Problems

Hi Joev84,
Welcome to the forums and PlusNet.  The answer to your question is "It depends!".
It could be that you have identified an issue and changing the router has fixed it, however it is equally possible that you have an intermittent problem which for the moment has subsided.  Your post does not indicate if the "speed problems" were DATA speed reports from various test tools / test events or SYNCH speed reported by the modem / router.
If it were DATA speed test results then the router change is unlikely to have any bearing on the improvement - fewer line errors, better through put on PN's gateways after last night's system outage are more likely culprits for the improvement.
It would be useful is you can gather the information requested under the speed issues thread at the top of this forum.  From that information we can assess if your line is performing at the expected level and if the factors which control DATA speed are set correctly.
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joev84

Hi,
Thanks for replying,
the problem was that my download speed was lower than usual. It is usually about 8-9mb, but on this occasion it was less than 1mb.
I spoke to customer service, and they reported it as a line fault, so this morning i got a call from a bt engineer saying the line is fixed. So i checked the speed via speedtest, and it was below 1mb still, this is when i done the plusnet broadband test and when it came to changing the routers around, it worked.
I will have a look at the thread you suggested, when i get a bit more time later.
Thanks Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I would suspect that somewhere along the way your PlusNet PROFILE got chopped - though this could have been reset by PlusNet staff, it does not become effective until what's called the PPP session is dropped and restarted.  Switching routers will have had this effect by the link being dropped in the router exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.