Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

JamesF2
Dabbler

Speed Problems

Hi All,
Been having speed problems on and off for about a week.
ZyXEL p600 router.
Current Stats:
noise margin upstream: 22 db
output power downstream: 17 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db
noise margin downstream: 11 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 49 db
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.82 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
Telephone number:
XXXX
Phone exchange:
MAIDEN NEWTON
Estimated line speed:
1.5Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-02-08 21:46:18
Current line speed:
2.5 Mb
Am currently straight into test socket (removing noisy extension - established with BT silent test).
Performance was like this last week. Then all got better again:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.88 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Just tried to load PlusNet Assist but it failed "You must be connected to the internet to install! - I am!
Any ideas gratefully received. I don't want to pay BT Openreach (phone line provider) £99 for something that is not their fault. Currently e-mail and web are virtually unusable.
Thanks,
James
40 REPLIES 40
JamesF2
Dabbler

Re: Speed Problems

I'm not on Fibre (obviously) but other threads are reporting things improving.
I am now getting a more usable:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.96 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.82 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Fingers crossed it lasts.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi James, welcome to the forum.
Plusnet Assist won't help you with this problem. I wouldn't waste any further time on it.
The reason for that very poor initial download test was because your IP profile was 0.14Mbps due to that fact your sync speed had previously been very low most likely due to the noisy extension that you mentioned. The profile has now recovered to 2 Mbps and hence your download speed has improved.
The stats and test result indicate that you are on a 20CN exchange and when your sync speed goes up it can take around 3 days for your profile to go up, and your Current Line speed has to go up to match as well, so you don't see any improvement in the download speed until that happens.
Unfortunately the Current Line speed changes are lagging behind the Profile changes due to problems with BTw's delta report mechanism that notifies Plusnet of the Profile changes, so your Current Line speed may even go down yet as a result of that low profile.
If that happens post a new full BT speedtest result and the Current :Line Speed and a Plusnet DCT member can update the Current Line speed to match the profile.
Can you still hear any noise at all whilst you are plugged into the test socket? Any intermittent noise or problems with incoming or outgoing calls indicate a Line problem which needs a fault reporting to your LIne provider. Who do you pay rental to?
When you report a phone fault, don't mention the broadband otherwise you can get the run around. Also make sure you report it as intermittent.
Looking at your stats that sync speed is not very good for your Line attenuation. This will be due to any noise on the line and that your Target Noise Margin looks as though it may be 12 dB as a consequence, because the current Noise Margin is 11dB. Once any line fault is fixed, this can be reset.
As far as the extension goes, do you know why it is noisy? Are there loose connections?
How many fixed extensions do you have? Are you using any plug-in extension leads?
Whilst you are connected to the Test socket, can you look at the wires connected to the rear of the removed front plate and say how many there are  and what colours and what terminals numbers they are connected to?
Do all your Microfilters look like this? Is everything normally connected plugged in via a filter?
JamesF2
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
> Can you still hear any noise at all whilst you are plugged into the test socket? Any intermittent noise or problems with incoming or outgoing calls indicate a Line problem which needs a fault reporting to your Line provider.
No all quiet on the test socket on the line the router / "non-noisy" phone is on
> Who do you pay rental to?
BT
> As far as the extension goes, do you know why it is noisy?
No.
> Are there loose connections?
Not that I am aware though possibly at the rear of the front plate (more below)
> How many fixed extensions do you have?
> Are you using any plug-in extension leads?
No
> Whilst you are connected to the Test socket, can you look at the wires connected to the rear of the removed front plate and say how many there are  and what colours and what terminals numbers they are connected to?
The noisy extension is the one that is plugged into the front plate (somehow the line to the router and 2nd phone is wired inside). The wires ./ sockets are:
I can't see a terminal 1
2 - White (main colour), blue (minor colour)
3 - Orange (main colour), white (minor colour)
4 - No wire in
5 - Blue (main colour), white (minor colour)
There is an unconnected white (main colour), green (minor colour) wire.
> Do all your Microfilters look like this? Is everything normally connected plugged in via a filter?
A different make but similar. Everything is plugged in as recommended.
Thanks again,
James
Anotherone
Champion

Hi James,
Edit: should have said that those wires on the back of the faceplate should go to the extension socket which should be dead with the faceplate removed. Check with a phone & filter at the extension socket.
The bell wire being connected on Terminal 3 is the most likely culprit in causing your issues with the extension connected. It's not needed or wanted in a Broadband situation as it picks up interference. Gently remove it by pulling it vertically out of the terminal being careful not to disturb the wires on terminals 2 & 5. Do the same at the extension socket itself. Check the wires in 2 & 5 are secure but read on first.
What ever you do, don't be tempted to use a screwdriver or similar implement to poke any wires into these terminals. They are Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC). The jaws of the terminal "displace" the insulation to grip and make contact with the wires so they aren't pre-stripped. You can, if careful, make sure the wires are fully home in the terminal by pressing the wire either side of the jaws with a suitable implement, but the correct thing is an IDC/Krone or Punchdown tool. You can pick up cheap plastic ones for around or under a £1 in various places - suitable for doing a small number of these terminals if you feel the need. There was a Punchdown tool being sold on Amazon for £1.69 including P&P if you want to spend a touch more, no need to buy the expensive professional tool just for the odd domestic connection!
Now, probably because of this noisy connection, the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has increased the Target Noise Margin with resultant slower speed. So -
Use this Disconnect method whenever you want to change anything, resync, reboot etc. - it helps prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection issue -
Log in to the modem/router and try and find your Internet Connection details and Disconnect/Connect buttons. Click "Disconnect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection - this drops the session to the ISP but not the sync. Wait a few moments and then power down the modem/router. Again wait a minute and unplug from the line. Make whatever changes you want offline and take at least 10 minutes. (When you want to make configuration changes to the modem/router power it up but stay offline ie not plugged into the filter).
When done, reconnect and power up, log in to the Interface and click "Connect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection when/if it hasn't done so automatically. If you look at the stats immediately after sync, the Noise Margin showing is usually the current Target margin.
(You can use Disconnect/Connect on the Internet session without a power down to Gateway hop).
I recommend not using that method more than 5 times in an hour and then leave it for the rest of the day.
If you can't find/haven't got a Connect/Disconnect button, then just power down the modem/router and wait a minute before disconnecting from the line.
Try all that, but I suggest leaving the modem/router disconnected when you've replaced the NTE5a front plate whilst you thoroughly check that the extension is noise free with your phone. If it isn't come back to the NTE5a and check directly in the test socket with the phone, and if it's noisy report an Intermittent Noise fault to BT (don't mention the broadband - you get the run around) and stress it's intermittent.
If it''s not noisy at the test socket replace and remove the faceplate a few times to help clean the contacts and then check the extension again. If the extension is still noisy, check the wire connections and wire again.
Post back with the results. You won't see any improvement in download speed immediately, it's firstly an improvement in the DSL Connection rate that we are looking for, so post a BT speedtest result as well.
JamesF2
Dabbler

Hi,
Nearly three months on and I still have near unusable broadband speed. After changing wiring (below) and trying lots of things I got BT out to investigate intermittent noise on the line and they found corroded terminals on the master socket but no other faults. They changed the socket but two weeks later still I have poor speeds. When the intermittent fault was away (rarely!) I got download speeds of 2.4mbps. I have plugged in to the test socket with no different result.
Router Stats
noise margin upstream: 21 db
output power downstream: 19 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db
noise margin downstream: 12 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 51 db
BT Speedtest
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.65 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
Current Line Speed
Phone exchange:
    MAIDEN NEWTON
Estimated line speed:
    1.5Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-05 10:13:08
Current line speed:
    0.35 Mb
I don't really understand the above stats. From Anotherone's kind reply, the noise on the line was probably the problem. A silent line test indicates the noise problem has gone but the speed has not recovered.
Any ideas please.
Thanks,
James
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, your Current Line speed is the primary issue as it hasn't updated to match the current BT IP Profile. Now that you've had a fault fixed - as your current Target SNRM looks as though it's 12dB, if the line is now stable an SNR reset which would put it to 6db would improve your sync speed as well.
A DCT member would be able to sort this for you.
JamesF2
Dabbler

Thanks again Anotherone. Is there a member of the DCT team listening?
Anotherone
Champion

There is, hopefully he'll be along shortly.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi James,
I've placed a SNR reset and upped your profile for you, this can take around four hours but is normally quicker than that.
Keep us posted on the results.
JamesF2
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Great. Fingers crossed. Will keep you posted.
James
Anotherone
Champion

I'm sort of suspecting that your SNR reset hasn't happened?
JamesF2
Dabbler

I was worried. The four hours Chris mentioned came and went and still no progress, however things got better and I did a speedtest as I shutdown at about 11 pm and the download speed was back up to near the best ever (not stunning, but I do live in the sticks). Just run the BT speedtest again and:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.43 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.78 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
so I think that is job done. Thanks all.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something still isn't right
Can you run the BT speedtest again as the IP profile is too low for the sync speed
it should be 3 Mbps if you are on 20CN or 3.33Mb if you are on 21CN - note 2.5Mb isn't an option on 20CN

Corrected - see later posts
Anotherone
Champion

2.5Mbps is an option Jim Wink  but as it's 20CN it will be based on sync speed upto yesterday as it will (under normal circumstances) take 4 days to update with the new speed., however the reset hasn't gone through as the sync would be higher anyway if it had, I'm sure Chris Purvey will sort that shortly.