Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

gpavlovic
Grafter

Speed Problems

Hey,
When i first joined plusnet last november my IP profile was 15MBs, it was great! Recently i've now plusnet has changed my current line speed to 5.5MBs but now it has again been reduced to 3.5MBs, can someone please explain why this keeps happening? It seems to be a very big difference in the space of 6 months.
This is the result I just received.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3360 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.65:21.69:64.66 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Graeme
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed Problems

You will need to post the stats from your router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

tell us the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth
what happened on the 3rd may?  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95501.msg804586.html#msg804586

t now transpires the engineer has crossed my phone line with my neighbours so I have their phone number and they have mine hence no DSL connection, you couldn't make this stuff up!
gpavlovic
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You will need to post the stats from your router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation

I'm a bit simple with things like that, how do I find my router stats?
Quote from: pierre_pierre
tell us the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth
what happened on the 3rd may?  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95501.msg804586.html#msg804586

t now transpires the engineer has crossed my phone line with my neighbours so I have their phone number and they have mine hence no DSL connection, you couldn't make this stuff up!

Haha yeah i had a previous problem recently and it has been resolved, line is now fine. I had 5.5MBs the last test I done on the 9th May, just seems to keep changing my line speed.
Cheers Graeme
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you have a Plusnet supplied router http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 If you don't look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
gpavlovic
Grafter

Here are my router stats, I have no idea what they mean so are they good or bad?
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 11:32:13
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 22,288 / 14,192
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 4,120
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 495.68 / 2.29
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 29.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,736 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 7,914 / 99,874
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15,035 / 340
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 48 / NA
Cheers Graeme
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You have been banded probably due to the instability or earlier problems
If this is picked up by the Digital Care Team they can fix it otherwise you may need to raise a ticket.
In theory it should sort itself out if you leave it connected without a resync but it may take a while
The big number is the error seconds but those don't reset without a router reboot so they possibly reflect your earlier problems unless there is a continuing stability problem.
Did you resync the router at about midday before you copied those results
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the connection was banded I would expect sync speed to be close to 4544kbps. Perhaps the router was restarted during a period of high background noise; maybe an underlying line fault is still present?
David
gpavlovic
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Did you resync the router at about midday before you copied those results

No mate not at midday, last time I restarted my router was on sunday/monday as I had a problem with my PS3 when it came back online.
Quote from: spraxyt
If the connection was banded I would expect sync speed to be close to 4544kbps. Perhaps the router was restarted during a period of high background noise; maybe an underlying line fault is still present?

As far as I can tell my telephone line seems ok at present, there was a problem at the start of the month with my telephone line and the engineer came out but this was sorted eventually and my line speed was 5.5MBs but it's just the fact that only a week or so later and it's reduced in speed again.
What's the best thing for me to do? Raise a ticket?
Graeme
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case the resync was because of line problems.
If you restarted your router on Sunday/Monday then the error seconds are appalling.
You should use the fault reporting system to start the ball rolling
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There is no banding but the SNR is incredibly high.
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  22.5 / 29.0

I've requested this to be reset as the line appears to be more stable. Within a few hours you should start to see an improvement.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.