cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

brignall1
Dabbler

Speed Problems

Our internet has been very slow at certain times since we bought it and gets unusable if anyone on the network downloads or streams anything (even at 360p). If no one is downloading anything or watching a video then we get about 6 Mbps download and 0.35 Mbps upload but this will randomly change to about 2 Mbps download and 0.20 upload. This change doesn't seem to be dependent on time of day. If anyone is watching a video at 480p then the speed will be about 1.5 Mbps download and 0.15 Mbps upload. This makes online gaming impossible and browsing the internet becomes very frustrating, unreliable and slow. The ping when someone watches a video will go to about 430.
I play a lot of online games but with the internet like this it is impossible. Even if no one is watching a video, it is too unreliable to play any game online as I might randomly get a huge lag spike and I have no chance if anyone is watching a video or downloading anything. 2 examples are that I have tried playing counter strike : source on european servers getting 300 ping and diablo 3 getting 500 latency. I have tested multiple other games too.
I understand the internet should slow down when downloading or watching videos but should it slow down so much that playing any game online is impossible?
I have run BTwholesale speed tests before and got 6 Mbps and 0.35 upload when no one was watching a video or downloading anything but I just tried one now and after four refreshes I finally got a result. The test result is the BTW Speed Test.png attachment below. It was tested at 8:50 pm.
This is a speed test when no one was watching a video at 8:55 pm.

This is a speed test when a video is playing at 480p at 9:00 pm.

All tests have been done on a wired connection using homeplugs.

Is this expected or do you think there is a problem?
Thanks.
38 REPLIES 38
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed Problems

Could you run the BT speed test again, then run and post the Further Diagnostics?
It certainly might be worth uncapping your upload speed if you are on 21CN and this has not already been done. This would hopefully help improve things.
Have you looked at fibre (if it's available for you)? It seems like watching HD streams (albeit at lower quality) uses most of your bandwidth, which then impacts other things like gaming. This should not be a problem if you can get fibre.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It just may be that the Plusnet priority system isn't working as it should be
Two questions
Have you got the Pro addon
What is the current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
brignall1
Dabbler

I ran another BT speed test using further diagnostics and put it in the attachment. Fibre isn't available to us yet.
I don't have the pro addon and I can't check the line speed just yet. I will be able to check it it tomorrow though.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi brignall1,
I've just checked your line and everything is looking clear.
I've made some changes to your speed profile, it was set higher than it should have been which can cause issues.
If you continue to have issues, I would recommend completing our Broadband Fault Checker at http://faults.plus.net
brignall1
Dabbler

I think the connection might be a bit more consistent but I am still getting the same speeds and there is still too much lag for any online gaming. I also just found out that if I try an online game when no one else on the network is using the internet at a peak time then it is too laggy even then.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What games are you trying to play?
It's a bit of an odd one as your speeds look really good to be honest  Huh
brignall1
Dabbler

I have tried Counter Strike: Source, Diablo 3, Garry's Mod, Path of Exile, Monaco and Elder Scrolls Online Beta.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Very strange.
I've completed an SNR Reset on your line to see if it will bring the SNR value on your upstream down a little which may help.
If you could test again this evening, that would be great.
brignall1
Dabbler

Thanks, I just tried a game now and there was only slight lag, and slightly worse lag when a video was loading but I will try at a busier time this evening as well.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Something is still not right, your upload speeds aren't god enough.
Would you mind raising a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net?
brignall1
Dabbler

I have now logged a fault.
brignall1
Dabbler

We were told that there is no problem in response to the fault log.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What speeds are you getting on on the upload now?
brignall1
Dabbler

Sorry for the late reply. The speeds are no different. We normally have about 0.28 upload and 6 Mbs download, and when a video is being watched we get about 0.2 upload and 4 Mbs download. Online games are still not possible to play.
We were planning on getting fibre when it would be made available on the 31st of March but now according to BT's Website the date has changed to between July and December. Is this true and if so is there anything that can be done? I tried to check the availability of fibre under the different fibre packages on PlusNet's site but every time it wouldn't work. It will either stay checking forever or say something went wrong. If BT's website is correct and the date is now between July and December is there anything that can be done and is it possible to get a more precise time?