cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Outside Estimated Range

jthom
Grafter

Speed Outside Estimated Range

After a long period of the line being disconnected during building work, it has dropped in speed.

estimate 15-19mbps. Current speed is 12.6mbps. This has been the case for quite a few weeks now and is not recovering on its own.

Before it stopped being used, I was getting a connection of around 18 down and 2 up.

A new master socket was fitted by BT, but not used for a couple of months.

Is there anything I can do to increase the speed, or should I report it as a fault?

thanks for any help.

31 REPLIES 31
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Speed Outside Estimated Range

Hi @jthom, I'm sorry that you are having issues with the speed.

I have tested the line which shows you are in sync at 33.5mb, are the results you are seeing from a wired or wireless speed test?

If these results are from a wired speed test, please can you connect your router to the

test socket and raise a fault here and let us know once done so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

Apologies, this problem is for a second account I have with plusnet. I will PM the account name.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah OK, sorry about that! I haven't received a PM yet though.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

hi have sent a pm

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you Smiley

I've tested it and the sync for this line is 14.3mb.

Can you get the router in the test socket? Once connected that way please run a wired speed test and get back to us with the results.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

Hi did that Sunday. 12.3 down 1.1 up. This has been consistent for a while. Same result on BTW speed test.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jthom

I've just retested the line and these are my results

Upstream DSL Link Information / Downstream DSL Link Information

Loop Loss:10.3 / 2 0.0

SNR Margin:7.3 / 6.1

Errored Seconds:0 / 0

HEC Errors:0

Cell Count:0 / 0

Speed:1216 / 14334 

No issues have been identified in the network. 

Can you confirm if you have the ability to test via a different LAN cable? Also, have you disabled the Wireless on the router to ensure you are getting indicative speed test results on your wired connection? 

Your throughput will always be a tad lower than your sync speed, unfortunately. 

Thanks, 

MoR

**edit - spelling 

jthom
Grafter

Hi, I have already done these tests in the master socket, I will repeat when I get home with the conditions you suggest.

The speed test results are what I would expect from the sync speed I have. My question is about the sync speed. it is much lower than previously achieved 18 down and 2 up. I can't be sure if this reduced when the master socket was replaced by BT or if there is something else. Like a limit on the line speed? BTW speed range is 16.5 to 20.

There have been a lot of disconnections during the works at the house and I was concerned that this has flagged this as a noisy line? If so it does not seem to be recovering as expected.

I can see the green box in the road from my window, so this why I assumed I was getting such good speed in the past from a dialup connection.

I will be going to fibre in the near future, but I am concerned that this will be a poorer connection than expected, relatively speaking.

jthom
Grafter

Hi,

I have now plugged in the plusnet supplied router and done a wired speed test.

Result from BTW speed test 13.37 and 1.02. I have uploaded to BT further diagnostics

It says my line profile is 12.6? this is below the test speed. in the past this has always been a bit higher than the test result?

and router info

Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7161671B005989 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:26:31
7 - Data rate: 1186/14335
8 - Maximum data rate: 1123/16668
9 - Noise margin: 7.7/7.6
10 - Line attenuation: 10.9/19.5
12 - Data sent/received: 9.0M/184.0M
20 - Broadband username:  
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:  
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 300 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:  
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

14.33Mb suggests it's a banded / capped rate, and therefore simply needs a DLM reset.

2Mb up is not ordinarily possible on ADSL2+. Unless you are paying an excessive amount extra for Annex M, about 1.2Mb is the maximum upstream line rate.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @jthom,

Thanks for getting back to us and I fully understand your concerns with this. I have checked your speed profile history and can see it has been decreasing, therefore we do need to raise this with our supplier.

In order to do this we will need you to run another speed test in the test socket on www.speedtest.btwholesale.com , and once completed click on the further diagnostics button. This will then prompt you for information so that these results can be sent to us and once completed, please raise a fault here.

Once this fault has been raised we will be able to investigate this with our supplier.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

Thanks. Speed test complete on a wired connection and in the master socket. Further diagnostics sent.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for carrying that out.

We've put through a reset on your line which has increased your speeds as shown below.

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 10.3 20.0
SNR Margin: 8.0 6.4
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 0 0
Speed: 1220 17995

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 12480 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9984
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 28724 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 43087
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 567

Can you retest the speeds and advise if you're still having issues?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

The sync speed has now improved, it did drop slightly when I restarted the router, but I assume this will recover over time?

A couple of things to note, plusnet is showing current line speed as 12.6 and btw speed checker is reporting IP profile as 13.71. Not sure if this matters?

Current sync speed from router 15542 and 1220.