cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed/Line Issue - what to do next?

dragona
Grafter

Re: Speed/Line Issue - what to do next?

Restart done just now, sync went from 3947 to 3993 same SNRM, during the night it would seem SNRM dropped as low as 13 db attached 1 chart for between 2 and 3 am where there seems to be a drop of some sort?
Will be in work most of the day today so wont be able to post anymore graphs till later if required.
-Ash
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ash,
A fall of 2dB or so is to be expected during the night due to MW radio interference.
The early hours blip - without looking at the router log, it is difficult to be confident about what happened here.  Zero synch has been recorded, but not zero SNRM as would be expected from a resynch event.  I'd suggest a missed data sample.
Now the logging is in place, let's see what it reveals over the weekend.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragona
Grafter

Got home about 7 tonight graph all day shows solid line at 15.1db but about 10 minutes ago got a disconnect, graph shows nothing to show this event occuring but router log does:

May 17 19:34:23 daemon err syslog: dhcpd:sending ACK to 192.168.0.6
May 17 20:00:21 daemon notice syslog: pppd:LCP terminated by peer
May 17 20:00:21 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses.  PPP connection DOWN.
May 17 20:00:21 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses.  Connection DOWN.
May 17 20:00:24 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Connection terminated.
May 17 20:00:24 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Connect time 587.6 minutes.
May 17 20:00:24 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Sent 633536054 bytes, received 984986039 bytes.
May 17 20:00:27 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...

I've changed my graph to sample more frequently, any suggestions on length of time for samples?
Edit: Sync speed remains the same
-Ash
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ash,
Personally I sample at 10 second intervals, with 720 points per plot, which gives a graph spanning 2 hours.
Right click on the graph and select "scheduled capture" this is save the graph every two hours so you can take a look back at what has been happening.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragona
Grafter

attrocious time in-game tonight only since the "disconnect i mentioned in last post... just gone on speed tester in faults diagnosis and have uploaded the results current line speed in high speed broadband page shows 3.4Mb, and i should be on unlimited package so shouldn't have an issue with capping.
symptoms in game are micro freezes and speed ups etc. same as normal haven't forced a manual disconnect and just about to install wireshark on this PC
-Ash
dragona
Grafter

attrocious time in-game tonight only since the "disconnect i mentioned in last post... just gone on speed tester in faults diagnosis and have uploaded the results current line speed in high speed broadband page shows 3.4Mb, and i should be on unlimited package so shouldn't have an issue with capping.
symptoms in game are micro freezes and speed ups etc. same as normal haven't forced a manual disconnect and just about to install wireshark on this PC
-Ash
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: dragona
on unlimited package so shouldn't have an issue with capping.

Ash,
There are different kinds of capping!
I do not think WireShark is going to add any benefit here.  The BT results an issue, I'll try to take a closer look later - SWMBO has returned from work, so I'm off out for a beer!

Kevin

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

There's no line capping from either BT or our side.
Your sync speeds does appear to very quite widely though. I can't see any congestion issues at your Local Exchange.
Do you notice poor speeds at any time in particular?
dragona
Grafter

Usually after 6 or 7 at night it doesn't usually effect me as badly as the other night though if i do see any speed reductions, last night for example seemed perfectly fine. I did also receive i disconnect around 10:45 this morning I'm assuming that was a line check?
-Ash
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That would probably have been me - apologies.
Do you have a TBB Monitor?
dragona
Grafter

Heading to work now graph in sig should start showing data soon. if router was configured right..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ash,
You need to modify the img tag in your sig before one of the mods feels your collar, as there is a 100 pixel limit on sig heights.

[img width=170 height=75]

Kevin

dragona
Grafter

Looks like I got beaten to it & had it modified to correct size, that's the only monitor I ever had before I'm assuming it's the one you were after
-Ash
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What exactly is being used on your connection?
It looks like there is some traffic being passed through (other than browsing), anything you can think of?
dragona
Grafter

when looking at Broadband usage if you're talking about the "Other" category i believe that is Gaming traffic, since nothing appears to be in that actual category. most of my time online is spent in games etc.
-Ash