Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Keeps Dropping - Massively

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Speed Keeps Dropping - Massively

Those speed tests are horrible, I agree, but my money is on the NAS, so disconnecting that, then resetting the Hub should give us an idea if it is the culprit. The A7 can be disregarded, I think.

John
NicDB
Grafter

I don't think the usage is that high after reading this:

"How much data does 1 hour of HD Netflix use?

3 GB

Data used per hour, per device:

High definition: up to 3 GB. Ultra high definition (4K): up to 7 GB."

So ours was 28GB over 3.5 days-ish and that is day/evening TV, wife, WFH on Teams calls, teenage daughter, me (mostly doing Speed Tests!)
jab1
Legend

OK. I have only an oldish non-smart TV, that gets very little use, and streaming the odd football match (in HD) uses about 2.1/2 - 3GB so maybe your figures are OK. Something is still awry, though, given your reported connection speed and those test results.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@NicDB 

Are you able to log in to your NAS on one device, to monitor the data being up and downloaded, whilst simultaneously doing the speed tests on another, (wired), PC?

I know that when my my NAS is downloading from a lot of sources simultaneously it hogs most of the bandwidth and a speed test looks very poor.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

Adding to above

What is connected to LAN1 showing 10 Mb/s connect speed?

The problem here is you are doing speed tests to a device off local LAN, where the issue could be on your local LAN.

First I would disconnect everything and perform a speedtest.

Second transfer a large file from the NAS drive to you PC and record the MBps and then convert to Mbps.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@NicDB wrote:

Aaaaaaand........it's gone slow again.Not hugely but down to 9.6Mbps then back up to 30Mbps.

Typically I had stopped monitoring ...

Turned it on again but noise levels are not hugely different from the recently sampled set.

You were warned of the perils of turning off monitoring.  Wink  You are effectively back to day zero again.

Remember that the noise 'levels' you see plotted are a MARGIN not an absolute value.  They only have meaning in the context of the current speed.  The monitoring seeks to "see" the shape of the disconnection and time so that you can correlate that with events in or around the house.

If the PC is noisy try cleaning the fan and vents.

Yes the speed will change (as advised) depending on the level of noise at the time of the reconnection.

Can you please reinstate the monitoring and keep it running until we get this bottomed out.  Personally I fear that there is little point running data speed tests whilst the line is so unstable - possibly due to REIN.  I also doubt a new router will make marked difference ... unless the source of the RFI is the router's PSU.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NicDB
Grafter

Well, after a week of stable speeds I have stopped the monitoring (at my peril!). It's been around 54Mbps Down and 16Mbps Up all week.

They sent me the new Router. Is it worth unpacking the Hub Two and using or should i just stick with the Hub One?

NicDB
Grafter

Aaaarghh!

So the speed has dropped a bit 48Mbps Down and 15Mbps Up so not a huge amount but still down on before.

The Downstream Noise Margin has gone up from around 6.9dB to 8.4dB  and of course I had stopped monitoring it due to constant fan noise from the PC in the living room.

Suggestions? Should I plug in the new Router?

jab1
Legend

@NicDB The rise in SNR is nothing to do with your Hub (AFAIK), but there's no harm in plugging in the new one, although I can't see it making much difference, long-term.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Changing the router is highly UNLIKELY to be useful.

The change in SNRM is consequent to the issue we need to see graphed.  Note that the Hub Two does not work with router stats.

Best option is to get the fan cleaned up so that it makes less noise.

You are not going to get to the bottom of this until you identify the source of the RFI which keeps crashing your internet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Sorry, forgot the Hub2 doesn't work with Routerstats.Embarrassed

John