Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

scratchrat
Grafter

Speed Issues

I got this today:

Account username: scratchrat
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 4Mbps
Current line speed: 1.25Mbps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this normal? My speed had been this low since the start and I hoped it would improve after the 10 day settling period.
9 REPLIES 9
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Issues

Hi scratchrat,
I'll take a look at this now for you and see what I can find out.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi scratchrat,
I've just ran some checks and the line has been banded so this sets the maximum sync rate your connection can achieve. This is something we can work on but the first thing we need to do is work out why your connection keeps dropping (as you can see below) Have a look here regarding troubleshooting a dropping connection - particularly the part about the test socket and let me know if you find anything that may have caused it or if you have plugged into the test socket. I'm quite confident that we can get the speed estimate though.

Jojo Smiley
tsunami70

Hi sorry to take over the thread (dont know if i should make a new one  Embarrassed ) but i've recently moved house as well and are suffering connection issues. I have to admit i can't officially complain about this until tomorrow (our line was activated 02/03/11 but your side of things apparently didnt get squared away until the 11th, +10 working days  ;))
My problem is that my speed has been stuch at 0.9Mb since the 2nd of March, with the exception of 3days in the middle when i got a solid 6.5-7Mb. Since the line went active, i've been syching at 8128 and havent changed anything since i moved. My current stats (as of this morning) are below:
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: MultiMode
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 8128 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Downstream Margin: 11 db
Upstream Margin: 27 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 15 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 3.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 12 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 19 db
Qos: UBR
Pcr Rate: 0
Scr Rate: 0
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Enable: Yes
PVC Status: Up
-----------
And before the BT speed tester stopped working, it reported that my IP profile had gone up to 7150 (which i think is the maximum). The my broadband speed site has kindly recorded the following:
Date                Download Speed                    Upload Speed
Today 06:46        916 kbps (115kB/s)        377 kbps (47.1kB/s) Share
Yesterday 20:20 916 kbps (115kB/s)        380 kbps (47.5kB/s) Share
Mar 10, 08:17    926 kbps (116kB/s)        354 kbps (44.3kB/s) Share
Mar 10, 08:16    929 kbps (116kB/s)        355 kbps (44.4kB/s) Share
Mar 7, 17:41      920 kbps (115kB/s)        380 kbps (47.5kB/s) Share
(sorry for the formatting!)
I've raised a couple of tickets (#40777536 was one) but have got the standard "Speed will fluctuate" response, but it's not really fluctuating - it's either 0.9mb or 6.5Mb-7Mb, for those few days in the middle. I have eliminated any possbile issues with microfilters etc without change, and tried the test socket behind the master plate. The only thing i cant test is another router (as i only have one) but since it managed 6.5-7Mb for those few days i think it's ok.
My profile on your site is a little off as well:
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
    ALLOA
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-01 11:05:03
Current line speed:
    1 Mb
This is my old pre-move exchange and line speed, i dont know if that would be causing this though.
I'd appreciate if you could look into this for me Smiley
Thanks,
Alan

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The Plusnet profile from your old exchange is almost certainly the killer. If you have been synched at the full 8128 at your new address since it was installed, BT will almost certainly not have sent a Delta report, which triggers the change.
Plusnet reps here on the forums can get it updated for you - just wait until one of them picks it up.
tsunami70

Thanks Jaggies, i hope that's the case - i thought it'd be something simple Smiley How come this didn't occur to the two tech support people who responded to my tickets? - i gave them the full info as well  Roll_eyes
Cheers,
Alan
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tsunami70,
I've sorted that for you now, you should see the correct speed within the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
tsunami70

Shocked
great stuff!
Thanks very much,
Alan
scratchrat
Grafter

A lot of those connection issues were me resetting the router as we lost wireless connectivity a few times. What can we do about this banding?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi scratchrat,
If you can keep the connection stable with no drops in connection I can get the banding lifted.
Jojo Smiley