cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Speed Issues

I have been frustrated by slow speeds for may weeks. Last week I decided to do something about it.
On Saturday I fitted a flitered faceplate to the NTE5. This resulted in a slight speed increase to about 2500Kbps on downloads from a previous 2200kbs. DSL connection rate remained around 5500 and IP profile remained at 4500. Snr Margin consistent at around 14
Performed a couple of reboots over the next couple of days with no improvement.
I opened a support ticket. Support ticket appears to have been escalated through various areas until a reply received yesterday asking if I am wireless or ethernet. Definitely connected via ethernet from faceplate to router and router to PC
Ran a speed test this AM following reboot Wed evening gave a higher connection rate.
Result: Download speed achieved during the test was - 3974 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5984 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kb
SNR ratio consistently around 14.
Attenuation is 35DB downstream

I am pleased that the reboot last night has improved things, I know that living in the place I do that I have to accept that things like fibre are unlikely to ever come here, we were grateful when we got broadbnd at all. However I want to know whether my connection could be improved still further and how to achieve that. Any thoughts anyone.
Jean

8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Issues

Hi JeanofKinver,
the problems with your connection before you fitted the faceplate may have lifted your SNR which will be keeping your sync down. I will reset the SNR which should lift the sync rate and then the profile. Hopefully, fitting the faceplate will have eliminated any issues but if not the SNR might rise again. Definitely worth a shot though.
Jojo Smiley
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Thank You JoJo, definitely worth a shot.
Jean
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Some movement already
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4467 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7584 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps
Router says attenuation 34Db Down
Noise Margin 5.4Db Down
Need the profile to rise a bit and we will be rockin!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JeanofKinver,
With that sync speed you should get a 6500 profile, so long as it doesn't disconnect.
Jojo Smiley
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

On Friday evening I was called by chris from Plusnet support. Nice guy. He said he felt there was a fault with the line here and to report it to BT.
I reported a noise fault to BT on Saturday and at 10AM this morning an engineer arrived He found no fault here or at the pole at the end of our driveway. He said he was off to check the green box. after that I got an eail from BT saying it was al fixed.
Coincidence or not but my SNR ratio has risen to between 10 and 11 dBs since about 20 mins after the engineer left here having previously been steady at around 6 . I also see that the line profile is still at 5000, no change with that at all. Connection has been stable.but connection rate has now dropped to just under 6000 and throughput is just over 4000 to 4500 following a reboot by me earlier today..
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's likely that the profile has dropped because of the increase in SNR, though it seems odd that the sync rate hasn't changed (unless it has done since). If it stays stable that should reduce itself though if it hasn't done so after a few days let us know - if there haven't been any drops or anything we'll try an SNR reset.
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

After sitting here seeing the IP profile at 5000, connection at 6500 ish and SNR at 10dB all week I decided to reboot the router this morning.
Result is now :
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6168 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8064 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps
SNR is 5.5 to 6
I think this is as good as it gets and is going to get ,but it is, to me, amazing.
Thank you everyone at Plus Net for your help over the last 2 weeks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looking good now, hopefully it'll stay that way Smiley