cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

chriss5471

Speed Issues

Good Afternoon,
So I have finished my house move and done some speed tests etc and found my once decent speed of 4.5-5mb when I moved in 4 months ago which was stable until a couple of weeks ago is now significantly lower, here is the detail:
From Plusnet link
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
From BT Wholesale test
BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Broadband Speed Test Results
Download speed (Mbps)        1.94
Upload speed (Mbps)              0.38
Ping Latency (ms)                    42.00
Router Information

ADSL Status
Parameters
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 2496
SNR Margin(Upstream) 21.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 15.9
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 21.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 47.0

Any help would be much appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed Issues

when you say you finished your house move did this involve multiple router disconnections or power cuts
chriss5471

Not really, there have been say 4/5 times when the router has been rebooted that I know of and I have not had the power off since being here, I cannot speak for my other half but I assume she would tell me she had the power off or a power cut.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi chriss5471,
I've taken a look over your account and it seems you've had a few disconnections that caused SNR on your line to go up, which has then reduced your speed.
I've placed a SNR reset which by the time you see this should have rectified this and improved your speeds.
chriss5471

Thanks Chris, when you reset it, it lasted a few days at 4400sync speed and neither me nor my other half nor my router reported any drops, yet DLM has worked its magic by the looks of things and I now have the following:
ADSL Up 448 / 3392 kbps
ADSL Status
Parameters
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 3392
SNR Margin(Upstream) 20.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 8.2
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 21.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.0
Any suggestions?  I am going to fit a filtered face plate to rule out internal wiring etc but other suggestions would be appreciated.  Again many thanks for your help last time around.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Possibly a fault has occurred on the line? It shouldn't drop quickly after an SNR reset unless your router is dropping connection, a filtered face plate is a good place to start, maybe call Tech Support and get them to run a line check?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like turning interleaving off caused a number of drops and a reduced profile on your line, we'll see if it settles but it doesn't look like it works so well in that state. Let us know if you'd like anything done there, or if it's settled to an acceptable speed for you.
chriss5471

Being as this is an old house with what looks like a fairly original phone line set up internally I am going to do some work on the internals first and make sure extensions are all removed etc then I will come back to you, would obviously like to hit a higher speed in the region of 4-5 meg but want a stable line too, I will come back to you once I have checked bell wire status and fitted a filtered face plate and then maybe we can re test?  Does that sound an ok route to take?
chriss5471

Ok, had a play with the wiring and now (Lots of dodgy looking extension cables which I have isolated for the time being) I am seeing the following:
ADSL Up 448 / 6272 kbps
Upstream 448
Downstream 6272
SNR Margin(Upstream) 20.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 5.9
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 22.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.0
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
2.4 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.27 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Looks much better, it's just a question of waiting for the IP Profile and Plusnet Current Line Speed to catch up. As you appear to be on 20CN it can sometimes take a while, but the size of the jump in synch (almost double!) means it should be sooner rather than late.
PN can always do another SNR reset if it takes too long.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Still not updated from 2.5Mb I'm afraid, we'll check again tomorrow and if there's still no change we'll submit an SNR reset for you as Jaggies suggests above Smiley Hope it updates overnight for you though.
chriss5471

Thank you all for your help:
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.02 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.27 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.
one last question could you tell me if Interleaving is on or off on my connection?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's currently on - it was off for a short while but turned itself back on on the 25th according to BTs systems.
chriss5471

Would it be advantageous to try turning it off again or is that not recommended on my line? I'm quite the online gamer you see.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You'd be the best one to advise of that - if you're seeing higher pings in games and things aren't looking so rosy, we'll turn it off, but if it's not affecting things then leave it on Smiley Having said that though if there's a risk of connection drops then best to keep it on. To be honest I'd go with the latter unless it's affecting your gaming, but let us know if it is and we'll see about turning it off for you.