Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

James
Grafter

Re: Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

Dave,
Do you want to wait until next week as a precaution?  If I place the order now, it will complete tomorrow morning, but if there is any instability, we won't be able to get interleaving turned back on again until Monday.
Equally if you're happy for me to place the order, I can do so now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: home99
I have delved deep into the router setup and cannot find anything relating to line errors, although I have to admit unless it says "These are your line errors"  I could be looking at them in the face.
I may have missed it but which router are you using
home99
Grafter

Yes it would have helped if I told you which modem I am using.  It is a NetGear DG834G V2.
Dave
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The easy answer is you can't get that from the web interface but you should be able to get them using RouterStats http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm which works on all the versions of the DG834G.
This is what mine looks like on the V4
home99
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim - I will download the software tonight and post the summary this evening.  Is there a minimum period it should be running for prior to declaring the results or does it provide an instant 'capture' of errors?
Dave
Sorry Jameseh just seen your post - yes I will leave it until next week incase there are any major issues with stability over the weekend.
Dave
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there a minimum period it should be running for prior to declaring the results or does it provide an instant 'capture' of errors?

It doesn't actually record the errors itself - it telnets in to the router and interrogates the router's stats so I think as soon as you go in you will see the counts since the last router reboot.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
home99
Grafter

Thanks Jelv - I shall run it and post an attachment containing the screen shot similiar to Oldjim's.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yesterday evening when I first connected the speed appeared to have resumed to normal - streaming video was fine, however after a short time even very low res video grind to a halt and webpages took an age.  However a thinkbroadband speed test and a PN speed test both reported decent speeds.   (BT speedtest still wont work even after a Java update)
I just dont get it!

I'm an interested layman observer here, but it occurs to me to ask whether you have any high-usage processes running when browsing goes slow? Have you checked for trojans that might be using your computer behind your back?  Do you have more than one anti-virus checker, which might cause contention?  (Hope you don't mind me asking what might be very stupid questions!)
Chris
home99
Grafter

Hi ChrisL,
Not stupid questions at all.  I have no other programs apart from the web browser running when I use my browser.  Additionally I have carried out AV sweeps (only one AV program used), Trojan sweeps etc but everything appears ok.
I am going to do some more digging tonight.
Dave 
home99
Grafter

OK I have done the necessaries with Router Stats 4.7g. The screen shot provides slightly different information to that of Oldjims but hopefully it provides what is required to show line errors.
Any thoughts?
Dave
I am grasping at straws here but I have attached a second image of the downstream noise margin - it appears that a few blips (yes I know very technical!) are appearing - what does this mean?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I suggest you edit and re-upload the images to remove your IP address!
paulby
Grafter

@home99
Just another straw for you to clutch!
Have you tried altering your MTU/RWIN settings?  Have a look at this page.
I use an MTU of 1430 with an RWIN of 166800 on my Xp machine and an MTU of 1430 on my Vista one (RWIN can't be adjusted with Vista).
It's probably not the cause of your problems but worth a try in any case (it takes all of 5 mins!).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

An addition to that advice: It is very, very important to make sure that the MTU in your router is the same or larger than the MTU on any attached devices.
I've never seen concrete evidence that setting the MTU to the maximum on the router (1500) while tweaking the MTU on the PC up to that value to get the best results is not the best course.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not familiar with your version of the Netgear but a few things spring to mind.
Looking at the downstream noise margin there is a lot of noise spikes dropping the SNR down by up to 3dB (not good at all). Is there anything electrical in your house happening at that time including making/receiving phone calls
Looking at the errors both up and down the corrected errors (FEC) look very high given the small amount of data transmitted. This is specially the case with the upstream figures where the corrected errors are very high indeed.
Perhaps the more technically knowledgeable can take this further.
home99
Grafter

@Paul03 - Normally I am willing to clutch at any straw however I am not comfortable with changing MTU settings as I haven't played with, or indeed come across MTU settings before.
@Oldjim - I have attached another capture of the noise spikes and as you can see it appears to be happening regularly through out the evening.  I cannot identify anything electrical happening at these times.  No phone calls were made.  The only noticeable thing is that it starts to steady out at about 2200hrs, which is when I switched my TV, AV Amp and various lights off downstairs (my router is upstairs in a bedroom) but again this isn't a definite link as the spikes started earlier in the evening when I didn't have any of that kit switched on.    Undecided
Dave