Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue

caribou
Grafter

Speed Issue

Hi,
My broadband speed has dropped off dramatically in the past couple of days. The BT speedcheck results look like this:
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6880 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1152 kbps
Router was reporting this:
      DSL Status:  Up   
      DSL Modulation Mode:  GDMT   
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED   
      Downstream Rate:  6880 Kbps   
      Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps   
      Downstream Margin:  7 db   
      Upstream Margin:  23 db   
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  33   
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  15   
      Downstream Transmit Power:  0   
      Upstream Transmit Power:  0

Points to note.
IP Profile used to be higher than this.
I was getting a consistent score of 5000kbps on mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
I've tried downloading a few files over the past couple of days and the speed has been rubbish.
I noticed that my exchange, Edinburgh Kirkliston, had a problem on 11/02/08. Report says:

EDINBURGH3 EDGE ROUTE SWITCH 9 : PARTIAL DEGRADED SERVICE
Can anyone help me?
Cheers,
Stephen
Added:
Raised a ticket and was told to perform the checks (that I had already done before raising the ticket. Doh!

21 REPLIES 21
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed Issue

You will have had a sync at between 5696 and 6208kbps to get the 5000kbps IP Profile. If you sustain your current 6880kbps the IP Profile should increase to 6000kbps in 3 days.
The low throughput could be due to the exchange problem (degraded service).
The ticket response is disappointing. Please could you post the ticket number so that a Comms Team member can review it.
David
caribou
Grafter

Hi,
Ticket number is 24174497
Cheers,
Stephen
caribou
Grafter

Here is the latest piece of non-information from the Fault Checker.

"Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
The Connection checks could not be completed
Test result summary: Inconclusive
We have not been able to complete the checks of your broadband service. This may be the result of a fault in the testing system rather than your service.
We will continue to monitor your fault, please provide more information or further updates on the occurance of your fault. If your fault has not re-occured since our testing, please close the ticket and confirm that you are satisfied that the problem is no longer occuring."
What is the point? Can anyone suggest what to do next? I'm concerned that the problem at the exchange that BT have reportedly fixed that has knackered my connection.
Stephen
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hmm, I see what you mean.
I imagine the Comms Team will pick this up in the morning and provide a more meaningful response. I suggest leaving it until then.
David
fnuseless
Dabbler

Don't hold you breath though as its over a week since i reported a fault and am still waiting on a response let alone a fix.
after years with plusnet it maybe time to move
Undecided
Mand
Grafter

Hi there caribou,
I've added your speedtest results and comments here to the ticket and will get a faults agent to pick this up for you now.
Mand
Grafter

Fnuseless,
I'm sorry that your fault has not been responded to. We're raising it to BT Wholesale again for you now, and will ensure you are updated regularly.
fnuseless
Dabbler

Well mand
at least someone has actually looked and reraised it with bt.
but a week  with no update even when i ask , is not really good enough is it??? Cry
Mand
Grafter

It's not, and we're investigating how this happened at the moment, as your ticket doesn't show up on our usual ticket status reports for some reason.
We're not saying that this is acceptable, and I sincerely apologise for the fact that you were not updated on this issue. We will monitor this one closely to make sure any updates are passed on to you promptly.
caribou
Grafter

After reading this and the replies to the original ticket I'm still not clear if anything is being done to fix the problem.
I tried another test at mybroadband speed.co.uk - guess what? - 128kbps - Pathetic.
Can someone at Plusnet please look into this? I've found that you have to moan a lot to get things done. This is why I'm moaning a lot.
Stephen
caribou
Grafter

OK, I've had no response either to my ticket or to this post that has helped me resolve the problem. My speed has dropped at least 10 fold. I am giving Plusnet two days before I request a MAC code. I am fed up with the service you get when you have a problem. On two previous occasions I've had to nag and nag to get anything done (home and a business account).
Stephen
James
Grafter

Hi Stephen,
I've replied to your ticket with the latest from BT.
fnuseless
Dabbler

well i'm still waiting on the next update on mine
the last was no fault found
well something is amiss
download of 473kb not bad for a used to be 2.5mb line Roll_eyes Grin
monkeytrousers

My PlusNet speed has dropped 10 fold too this last couple of days. Used to get at least 4mbs and have been delighted with PlusNet until now ... now speed tests show 400kbs ... really frustrating as I worked from home today to try and get stuff done and ended up waiting for things to download.
I have raised a ticket today and I'm waiting for a response. Fingers crossed.