cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue

stankered

Speed Issue

Hi,
I am new to Plusnet have worked for BT for just under 40 years and just retired.
Thought I might save some money as BT is just too expensive and try plus net.  At the moment I wish I had not - they stated I would get 20.1meg which on 1st July when my service started turned out to be 25meg to 28meg.  Great I thought then after the first week things started to go wrong.  Then found I had to reset router 2 to 3 times a day no internet ( red light Tecnicolor ) I finally got through to tech support, they said after much trying to blame my Apple Mac that they had found a multiplex system fault and would deal with - they also said they would SMS me when sorted in the mean time just keep resetting.  Did they call me back NO!
Now the speed has just got slower and slower almost 9meg when working, my old copper line was faster in fact I have a USB dongle thats faster.  Have finally reported using the assistant thing lives to short to hang on a phone for hours - but now the phone lines dead.
Can anyone tell me is this normal or will it get better as at the moment I thinking of telling them what to do will their system.
Fault number is72304672 if any Plusnet people out there?
Update:-    After 3 days the BT man came and fixed the external line problem and I now have dial tone etc.
But of course the speed of Broadband is the same.  I use to get 7 to 10 meg on copper with BT,  now I am getting ( when working)  9 meg with so called Super Fast Plusnet Fibre.
Any advise would be most welcome..........
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Speed Issue

What does the BT speedtest ( http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/bt_speed_tester.shtml ) say your IP profile is ? and what does this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ( login required ) say for your Current Line speed ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The speeds should pick up now the fault has been resolved, though at present it looks like the DLM system picked up a sync rate of around 9400 which is why your line profile is as it is.
Unfortunately the only other way to get this profile picked up is to get an engineer out, which wouldn't be ideal - though of course if things aren't improving then we can arrange this for you, just drop a note on your ticket.
stankered

Hi,
BT tester is saying Profile IP 14.52 meg    Upload  1.08 meg
Actual speed      9.45 meg

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, bumped your profile on our side up to 14.5Mb/s though it's still showing as 9.5Mb on BTs side of things. Hope it makes a difference though, please let us know if so - and if that is the case I suspect the reporting on the BT side will catch up soon.
stankered

Hi Matt,
The speed seems to be stuck at around 9.4 although this afternoon it was down to 5.5 but now back up to 9.5.
Not really worth paying the extra for fibre, but will give it a while to see what happens.
The old copper connection I had on BT ran around 6 to 7 sometimes higher,  2 years ago it was a constant 12.
Funny how when installed I was getting over 25 most of the time?Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect it'll uplift again once the phone fault is fixed - if not we'll need to get a broadband fault raised to get the profile reset again for you. Please let us know how the phone fault goes (and if the speed doesn't improve once it's resolved).
stankered

Hi Matt,
Finally Bob from Plusnet (training) has had a look at my problem - it seems OK now 28meg what it should be - lets hope it stays etc...........
Derek.......