cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue - What Now?

khaled35
Rising Star

Speed Issue - What Now?

Well, on the 31st of July, my connection dropped for 2 whole days.  Half way through day 3, it sync'd off it's own accord.  Since then, my usually very stable 1500 - 1800 kbps downstream has dropped to just about 180kbps.
Two engineer visits later, my router now reads a downstream of about 4500kbps BUT ... here's the kicker ... my throughput is just about 200 - 220 on every speed test I have used.  Here is the info from the BT wholesale speedtester:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3.68 Mbps
I am at wits end since this issue has been ongoing for nearly 3 weeks now with no real end in sight.  If any Plusnet Staffers want to look into my issue, my username is khaled35 - it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Speed Issue - What Now?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed if that and your IP profile don't match and the PN one is stuck, then raise a ticket and get it changed
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
khaled35
Rising Star

Hi Gus,
The details on the page you linked to state:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
I do have a support ticket ongoing since 31st July and was even on the phone with PN Support this morning.  You'd think they would check this for me and get it sorted?  I've been patient for near on 3 weeks but I am feeling my patience running out.  I'll give it until Monday and give them a final call then and see what happens.
Cheers
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Time to phone them again and tell them the BT IP profile the plusnet profile don't match, as that is why you have poor speeds currently
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
khaled35
Rising Star

Well, my issue still remains unresolved.  When I run the BT wholesale speed test, I see this:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3.68 Mbps
When I look at my IP profile on PN, I see this:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
Called PN Support to ask that my PN profile be changed to match BT's and I am told that BT's IP Profile for me is also 0.25.
I honestly don't know what to do next.  They keep telling me to wait 48-72 hours and I'm concerned that if my PN IP profile is indeed stuck, waiting this extra time won't really help in any way.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Called PN Support to ask that my PN profile be changed to match BT's and I am told that BT's IP Profile for me is also 0.25.
Sounds like you might have a profile mismatch on BT's systems. I'm sure one of the Digital Care Team will be along shortly ( they don't work weekends! ) to sort it out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: khaled35

This looks like a failure of Plusnet's records to be updated properly.  Hopefully someone will deal with this promptly because failures of this type knock a big hole in Plusnet's reputation for good customer service. 
khaled35
Rising Star

I hope one of the PN Staff that frequent this forum are able to help because it doesn't seem like I'll ever get a resolution speaking to their frontline support people.  I'm basing this prediction off 3 weeks of personal experience Smiley
In any case, this is what my Vigor 120 reports:
ADSL Status
Mode: ADSL2+(G.992.5)
State: SHOWTIME
Up Speed: 444937
Down Speed: 4259139
SNR Margin: 12
Loop Att.: 46
This is all so very very strange.  Router reports a downstream of 4Mbps, BT IP Profile states about 3.68, PN states IP Profile as 0.25 - so is it safe to assume that once PN change my profile on their end, everything should work correctly?
khaled35
Rising Star

FINALLY got someone on the phone who was either willing or able to help.  My issue is now resolved.
Thank you to everyone that replied with suggestions; much appreciated.