cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Improvement?

headhunterhbn
Grafter

Speed Improvement?

I'm currently using Broadband Your Way Pro, 8mbps and 18GB per month. My current speed tests are coming back as 1.76 Mbps, is there any way of amping up my speed? Can my contention ratio be changed? Or turn off interleaving? Anything. I really expected something faster than this.
11 REPLIES 11
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Speed Improvement?

Hi headhunterhbn
Can you post your linestats. Even though you are on a 8Mb product that does not mean you have been maxed( put on an up to 8mb connection). You may be on a fixed rate 2meg connection. If you cant find your linestats try here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
Once you have posted these, we should be able to shed some light on how fast you could/should get.
headhunterhbn
Grafter

Im not sure exatcly what you need so i took some screenshots.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7588/11rf9.png
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6056/22pi7.png
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8963/33ep1.png
I did a speed test and got 1.3Mbps. Can someone turn off my interleaving for me?
Also, PlusNet are sending me a new Router/Modem, will that make a difference?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your stats show you are synced with the exchange at 3328kbps. That is the datagram rate, and ATM and transmission overheads have to be subtracted to get the idealised throughput rate (IP Profile - mirrored as the High-speed broadband data-rate on the portal) which would be 2500kbps. Actual throughput (speed measured on a speed tester) will be less than the idealised rate due to USB and transfer efficiency.
I suspect you previously synced below 2848kbps and your IP Profile is probably 2000kbps, which would lead to speed being about the value you mentioned.
Your stats show your noise margin at 4dB was below the 6dB target, and into the evening it is likely your modem might lose sync and reconnect at a lower speed to restore the noise margin.
The number of transmission errors shown in your stats seems high to me, suggesting your line is exceptionally noisy. You might find working through points mentioned in Jameseh's blog "Broadband Speed Fault Troubleshooting" helpful.
Turning off Interleaving is unlikely to improve speed, in fact it could well have the reverse effect. The new router might help a little - how do you plan to connect your computer to it (wired or wireless)? - though sorting out the cause of what seems to me to be excessive noise on your line is the priority. Is all your equipment properly filtered as described in the blog?
David
headhunterhbn
Grafter

Im going to have my PC wired and my Xbox disconnected, or vice versa ( I need as much Bandwitdh as possible, i host alot of Gears of War games) Could it be faulty mircofilters creating the noise? I've got 2 brand new BT microfilters here, could they help? Also, i have 1 Sky Box connected and 1 cordless phone, the other 2 are scattered throughout the house. And finally, i'm not connected to the master socket and i'm using an extention cable.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Yesterday, your sync speed took a blip at 1728Kbps, causing you to be assigned a profile of 1500Kbps, hence your currently "poor" speeds.
As spraxyt mentions, you're currently syncing at 3328kbps, which if maintained, should give a profile of 2500Kbps and an improvement in your throughput of roughly 800Kbps.
headhunterhbn
Grafter

Is there anyway of improving my profile?
I've also put a microfilter in every socket, i currently have 1 phone and 1 modem in the sockets and when i get my wireless router im going to connect it to the master socket and try wireless on the PC, if that works ill use wireless on the Xbox 360.
James
Grafter

Hi,
As mentioned above, you need to wait up to 3 days for BT to increase your profile based on your sync speed.
We have no control over this, but only the profiling on our own network.
Please feel free to have a read of the speeds troubleshooting guide linked to in my signature.  It might help you improve your understanding of how the Max product works.  It's not the simplest!
headhunterhbn
Grafter

Thanks Jameseh, also, it's probably because i recently got PlusNet (Friday) and it's still trying to obtain the best sync speed for me. Thanks, ill keep an eye on my speed to see if it increases.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
That sounds like a pretty reasonable assumption Smiley
headhunterhbn
Grafter

Well, i got my new router today and i decided to post my line settings
Can anyone make sense of these and tell me if they are good, bad or ok? And what changes i could make if there is any problems.
James
Grafter

Hi,
You don't appear to have posted your line stats, unless I'm missing something?