Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Help

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Speed Help

Greatly simplified: When a problem upsets your line it causes your modem to sync at a lower speed, BT then set your IP Profile to match that speed. This is done to try to keep your line stable. BT will only raise your IP Profile again after a period of some days. It can take up to 5 days to get back to full speed.
That is why when investigating problems, running a speed test immediately after making a change is totally and utterly meaningless. What you need to be checking is your current sync speed and your line stats as reported by your router/modem.
You can find your current IP Profile by running the BT Sppedtest: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This is the significant bit:
Quote from: Y2J
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1856 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 14.8 dB 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 51.0 dB 27.0 dB

Can you take the lower half of the face plate off and plug your router only in to the test socket using a single filter - then get those stats again please.

Edit: If you have two filters it might be worth comparing the results with each.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is nothing badly wrong with those numbers given the attenuation of 51dB
Rather than trying the BT Speedtest which usually doesn't work can you first report the result from here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Y2J
Grafter

Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps
Its useually 2000
Jelv i cant take the faceplate off its downstairs i have a extender box below my desk.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suspect the following.
Due to the number of synch problems you have reported the default noise margin has increased from 9dB to 15dB which would explain the lower synch rate. Also the fact that you were having synch problems probably caused the router to synch at about 750kbps which would give the IP rate you report - also, unless PlusNet have introduced the new banding, the reported stable rate with be 500kbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Extension wiring very frequently causes lower sync rates. It is worth taking everything downstairs to beside the master socket to find out what speed you could achieve. If it shows a significant improvement we can discuss ways we can get you a decent speed upstairs, if it shows little improvement we needn't bother!
Y2J
Grafter

I know what you mean but i didnt touch a thing got sky last sunday fine all week then yesterday afternoon it all went wrong, i really cant get my head around it.
It must be somthing wrong outside the house because it would of slowed down last sunday.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Not having Sky this is a stab in the dark: How often does a Sky box attempt to use the phone line? Could it be the first time it's tried while your router is online?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You dont receive Sky through your Telephone, it comes from that funny shaped disc outside on the wall, all that the telephone connection to the Skybox does is allow Sky to see what you are using
Y2J
Grafter

I have tried it with out sky plugged in and nothings changes still the same speeds.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It won't change as the default noise margin has already been increased and the IP rate reduced (that takes 3 days to increase again).
As has been suggested the Sky box phoning home could easily cause the problems you have had.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It won't. As explained earlier, it takes DAYS to revert to normal once your speed has been knocked down.  Huh
Y2J
Grafter

ok i will wait a few days see how it goes, thanks for all the help.
Lee
paulby
Grafter

A lot of Sky installers will plug their extension directly into the master socket and then connect the microfilter and phones into the socket on the front of their adapter (which is normally of the type with a wire running out the bottom to the Sky box and a standard phone socket on the front). This leaves the Sky box unfiltered.
They tend to do this because, for some reason, some Sky boxes doesn't see the phone line with the Sky provided extension connected via a microfilter but will with it connected directly to the phone socket.  I've had to replace the Sky provided extension on numerous occaisions because of this (Services>System Setup>System Test will either report "Phone Line Connected" or "Phone Line Not Connected").  It's better to wire one yourself from the terminals on the rear of the faceplate in the master socket and put a socket nxt to the Sky box (and put a filter in that socket)..
You need to make sure that the Sky provided extension is completely removed from the phone socket and then plugged in on the phone side of the microfilter (or leave it in the socket and make sure that there's a filter at the Sky box end of the extension).  
If the extension was fitted with their adapter before the microfilter, it's very likely that the box dialling out caused your change in sync.
@pierre_pierre
While Sky doesn't come down the phone line you need the phone connected to use a lot of the interactive services.  It's also a condition of the contract for the first year (and a permanent condition if you have Sky multiroom) - it's not necessarily to snoop on what you're watching, but to make sure that the box is being used at the address that it was installed at and not illicitly in Spain, for example! (A lot of people were ordering Sky multiroom and then taking the second box abroad.)
@jelv
My Sky+ box phones out about once a week of its own accord - more often if you use interactive services.