cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Dropped 50%

michellereid
Grafter

Speed Dropped 50%

Since getting FTTC our download speed as always been over 30MB when doing speed tests. But for the past week no matter what I download, what speed test I use I always achieve around 14-15MB. According to the connection page in the member section my Plusnet IP Profile is still 37MB and i've just done a speedtester check via BT and my BT Profile is 38717kbps, upload 2000kbps. My download speed via the bt speedtester was 14MB.
I've got the pro addon and it doesn't matter what time of the day I check the speed is always the same. I've tried rebooting both modem and router with no joy.
Any ideas?Huh
9 REPLIES 9
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Speed Dropped 50%

Quote from: michellereid
My download speed via the bt speedtester was 14MB.

Was this done over wireless or ethernet?
michellereid
Grafter

Sorry forgot to mention.... It's done via a wired connection. I get the same results via wifi and wired.
houlton23
Grafter

Do you get the same 14-15Mbps result on other computers/devices? If so then that points more towards a router issue. (Assuming something hasn't gone awry with the PN Profile)
If you want to rule out the router and have a spare half hour then you could try going direct to the modem using the instructions here.
michellereid
Grafter

I've checked the results via 2 laptops.... i'll have a go at plugging the laptop into the modem...
Also i've noticed that the speed when downloading isn't constant like it used to be. For example I tried downloading a linux ISO and instead of downloading at a steady 2.5-4Mb/sec - it gets to say 1.5Mb/sec then drops to 900Kb/sec then slowly gains speed a bit then drops. No matter what I download and what ever server i'm downloading from the speed isn't constant.
michellereid
Grafter

Right the problem does seem to be the router.
I plugged the laptop into the lan1 port of the modem, followed the instructions and created a new connection. I did a speed test via speedtester.bt.com and the download speed was 34MB. Downloading a test file nearly hit the 5Mb/sec mark steadying out at around 4Mb. I did a speed test via speedtest.net and download was 34.6MB upload 1.6MB...
I swapped back to the router and the same speed test gave me 19MB download.
Plugged into the modem:

Plugged into the router:

houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: michellereid
Right the problem does seem to be the router.

I'm assuming it's the standard WNR1000v3 that PN supply? If so then I'd wait until tomorrow and see what the Digi Care team say.
Alex Smiley
michellereid
Grafter

Would plus net be able to send me a new router or would I need to purchase one myself.
What would course the router to slow the connection by that much?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi michellereid,
I can arrange for a replacement, but before I do can I just confirm that you have tried..
Switching the router off and on
Using a different ethernet port/cable
Factory reset of the router
Jojo Smiley
michellereid
Grafter

Hi, Jojo.
I've tryed all ports and used a different cable. I've not done a factory reset though. But i've just ordered myself a new router from amazon a few hours ago
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YETVTQ
dick:quote