Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

FIXED
ManicOrganic
Grafter

Speed Drop

My broadband speed has slowed right down. Called support today who did some checks and said there was an issue and told me to wait 4 hours then switch modem off/on.. I did this, but the speed seems about the same.. Pages start to load then take ages to finish loading and sometimes fail.. My router (thomsom) is the one supplied when i first signed up 6 yrs ago.. Could it be getting tired and need replacing or do they either work or not work? Have very little tech knowledge abt this. Have managed to login to the router and do a test which says everything is working (green ticks).

Any advise very welcome!

Clay

15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed Drop

Your line was disconnecting quite frequently, this in turn caused the exchange equipment to make changes to the line to try and stabilise it with the side effect of causing the speed to slow down.

The line stats below show that an error is being produced on the line every 15 seconds, which is a lot lower than we'd like to see.

As your line is now in sync again at 8128, the profile will increase over the next 24-48 hours and therefore you'll see an improvement in this timescale assuming no more bursts of disconnections occur.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 13 23.5
SNR Margin: 31 17.5
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 5034 19303
Speed: 448 8128

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 8128 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 6502
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 6156 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 474
Indicative Line Quality: S Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 15
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris, Thanks for this speedy reply... I'm not so technical so some of the data is lost on me.. I did an online chat this morning with [CSA Removed] and he's do a reset i believe and told me to switch modem off/on in 4 hours if situation doesn't improve.. I think it is slightly better but not what i've been used to.. I need to get back to full speed if i can (i'm wondering about switching to fibre, but that's for another discussion)..

What is the source of the line error every 15 seconds? I'm guessing this is at the root of the problem.. Is your advice the same as [CSA Removed] now... Monitor for the next few hours then reboot modem?? I don't want to make any more errors and put things back further..

Cheers for the help.

Very much appreciated.

Clay

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

Chris
Legend

What is the source of the line error every 15 seconds?

That's what we need to find!

A single reboot shouldn't cause any problems, it's only when it happens regularly that you may encounter issues.

How's the line performing today?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply.. So glad of this forum! No difference in speed. Still incredibly slow.. I've raised a fault via support and i think an engineer might be coming out. They say i might have to pay, but i'm willing to take the risk. The guys you speak to when you ring have tired a reset twice now, then i wait 4 hours and reboot modem, but it has no affect.. I'm wondering about my modem as it's 6 years old, but haven't got the knowledge to change it.. Or could it be in the cabinet down the road?? I've know idea... I just know i miss having connectivity!!! If you can help i'd be REALLY grateful..

In the meantime i will just have to be patient.. Doesn't come natural i can tell you Smiley

Thanks Chris

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Chris, Just been re-reading your reply.. You said:

"Your line was disconnecting quite frequently, this in turn caused the exchange equipment to make changes to the line to try and stabilise it with the side effect of causing the speed to slow down." ...

Does this mean the problem i have is at an exchange somewhere and not with my equipment? If so, any idea how long these types of faults take to fix? Does an engineer have to physically do something at the exchange? Also, is an exchange a building like the old days or a box in the road? Might as well learn some stuff while i'm not able to stream anything..

Thanks,

Clay

Chris
Legend

Does this mean the problem i have is at an exchange somewhere and not with my equipment?

A fault could be anywhere along the line, back to the exchange.

If so, any idea how long these types of faults take to fix?

The issue at the moment isn't a fault, the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) is working as intended. It becomes a fault if the speeds don't increase again.

Does an engineer have to physically do something at the exchange?

At the moment no.

Also, is an exchange a building like the old days or a box in the road?

Generally they are buildings, yes.

Chris
Legend

Can you try a disconnect/reconnect for me in around 2 hours (just one) and see what the speeds are looking like please.

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris, Yes will do.. I will reboot at 3pm then unless i hear back.. The speed hasn't increased since i raised the fault. Still working at dead slow .. Things like gmail won't load apart from in basic mode... Cheers..

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris, Reboot just done (1`5:15).. Won't surf anything till it's settled down.. Fingers crossed!! Smiley

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris.. Sorry to say no noticeable difference.. If anything a wee bit slower.. All lights on modem ON and flashing away like crazy.. Does this mean what's been tried hasn't worked? Can you let me know where we go from here? Thanks for all you do!

Clay

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris. I took a small film of the modem lights to show you..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPLXlHMlzpl/?taken-by=organicfarmshop&hl=en

It took 20 mins to load onto instagram. If anything since the reboot at 3pm the connection has got slower.. I tried to upload here but this editor wouldn't accept the file format (.MOV).. Hope it's of some use to you and this can get sorted soon.. 5 days now without proper internet..

Clay

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi Chris, Some improvement this morning.. Whatever you did it seems to have worked!! Cheesy Can't tell you how good it feels!! Thanks mate!! Cheesy

Chris
Legend

Fix

Phew, I was getting a little worried Smiley

I'm just going to run a quick line test to see what it looks like now.

Chris
Legend

In fact, no need! I can see one of my colleagues from the faults team has already done this and spoken to you.