cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop 70Mbps to 18Mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brutos
Dabbler

Speed Drop 70Mbps to 18Mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,
Can someone have  check on my line it seems to have a huge speed drop I normally get 70Mbps now am down to 18Mbps.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed Drop 70Mbps to 18Mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you run the BT Speed Tester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com), then run the Further Diagnostics and post the results?
englishrick
Grafter

Join the club Brutus, I have gone from 73-75Mb down to below 3Mb tonight, had problem since before new year. Speeds are normally normal during OFF peak..
Join my thread if you like
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122054.144.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Brutos
Which exchange are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Brutos
Dabbler

Yep on the clapton exchange i moved from sky for this reason capacity issues and speed. If this continues am moving from plusnet.
I ran the BT tester and it came back as 15Mbps lastnight speed seems to have come back today lets see if the issue continues
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You will probably need to move to someone not providing the service via BT which usually means Virgin cable only.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

You need to raise a ticket and get PN to pick up on this. Hopefully they will be able to see if it's an exchange congestion problem.
Brutos
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
You will probably need to move to someone not providing the service via BT which usually means Virgin cable only.

Dont think i should need to once plusnet manage their network and backhaul correctly issue i had with sky was they didn't want to accept they had a fault with congestion.
take a look at the thread started by me last year regarding the issue
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Clapton-Exchange-Ridiculous-Slow-Fibre-Pro-Unlimited-0-5...
AndyH
Grafter

It will be a BT Wholesale issue - not PlusNet. If there was congestion in PlusNet's network, these forums would be inundated with people complaining.
Brutos
Dabbler

No its Virgin backhaul issue at Clapton/Hackney exchange i have friends who work within sky and they told me its a virgin issue and they dont know when it will be fix which is why I moved away.
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

That is slightly confusing what you've said. Virgin have nothing to do with PlusNet or BT.
BT run their own networks in the UK - known as 20CN and 21CN. You traffic is routed from your house to your local BT exchange, through the BT Wholesale 21CN network until it gets to the handover point with PlusNet. At no point does it go through the Virgin or Sky networks prior to going to the PlusNet handover points.
Sky run their own network in the UK too. They pay OpenReach to install links from the BT Exchanges to their own network.
Virgin also run their own network in the UK. If you are not in a cabled area, you can still order ADSL however this is supplied by BT Wholesale and uses their 20CN/21CN networks.
Brutos
Dabbler

Think there is a misunderstanding lol.  On lets explain this. I moved from Sky to Plusnet in December last year due to congestion issues on sky backhaul. This was related to virgin as thats who sky used in this exchange carry their backhaul traffic. I was still within contract with sky but due to their issues they let me leave as they didn't know when virgin would fix the issue.  Several other users in the area had the exact same issue and were allowed to leave also.
Now regarding this thread I wasn't saying plusnet had congestion issues I think thats where the confusion happen i was just making reference to the drop in speed and hoping plusnet wasn't going to develop the issue i had with Sky.