cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Degraded Over The Years!

freakent
Hooked

Speed Degraded Over The Years!

When we first moved into this house and moved my Plusnet account with us we were getting 18mbps download. We are not far from the Exchange and the cabinet. Recently iPlayer has started buffering lots so I logged on to the router to check what speeds the router is connecting at. The link rate was 14333 downstream and 1232 upstream. I called plusnet support, the guy changed something, I waited a few hours to reboot the router. Now my link rate is 14845/1239, which is just a very small increase and still nowhere near the speeds we were originally getting. If I run speed tests I am getting less than 12mbps download and around 0.9mbps upload. I use VOIP a lot so the slow upload is really annoying.

The router is connected directly into the Master Socket and gives the following stats:

Downstream

Link Rate 14845 Kbps

Line Attenuation 23.0 dB

Noise Margin 6.3 dB

Upstream

1239 Kbps

Line Attenuation 23.0 dB

6.3 dB

What else can I do?

21 REPLIES 21
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Speed Degraded Over The Years!

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Looking at the information you've provided, whilst the link rate for a 23dB line is a little low, it is still more than enough for VoIP.  However you do not explain what problems you are having with VoIP.  Sync speed alone is not the answer, you also need to have a stable line having a low error rate.

For the sync speeds mentioned the data transfer rates are about right, still more than adequate for VoIP.

I would suspect more a latency issue here, or possibly the back haul from the exchange.  First though you need to eliminate the possibility of other issues.  You will find the self help in the speed issues link below helpful.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @freakent,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. As the speed is still within the line's estimates of 10 - 19.5mbps, we're limited in terms of the support that we can offer with this but there are things that we can recommend to help improve the connection.

I've tested your line and the test hasn't picked up any problems from here and indicates that your line is currently syncing at 14.8mbps. Please can you run through the tests that @Townman has recommended and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
freakent
Hooked

I will do the tests suggested, but why isn't it connecting at 18515 like it used to?

VOIP problems are frequent broken and sometimes "dalek"-like speech both speaking (sending) and listening (receiving). It is effectively now unusable.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

The tests might identify the reason!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@freakent wrote:

When we first moved into this house and moved my Plusnet account with us we were getting 18mbps download. We are not far from the Exchange and the cabinet. Recently iPlayer has started buffering lots so I logged on to the router to check what speeds the router is connecting at. The link rate was 14333 downstream and 1232 upstream. I called plusnet support, the guy changed something, I waited a few hours to reboot the router. Now my link rate is 14845/1239, which is just a very small increase and still nowhere near the speeds we were originally getting.

Welcome to the club!

My story is exactly the same: used to get ~18Mbps every day - and that was when I turned the router off every night. Smiley
Now it's down to ~15Mpbs (and still falling...), but as this is 'within spec.' I can't really take it up with anyone.

So what's going on? Well, looking at an old DSLstats screenshot on my desktop from those happy days of yore, I notice one thing immediately - the Download noise margin was ~3dB, nowadays it's always 6dB. So there's an answer of sorts right there.

So why can't I get 3dB anymore - are they even selling it these days? That's where the clouds roll in and it all gets rather foggy. It might be this, it might be that...

It might be down to my Openworld NTE 5C master socket playing up, as it is causing sporadic crackles.
It might be down to something else wrong - incoming calls cause the UPLOAD error rate to go through the roof.
It might be down to the growth of fibre (FTTC) causing increasing crosstalk on my line.
It might be down to the Gods of ADSL only allowing me 6dB download noise margin as I haven't been nice enough to them.
It might even be something else entirely! Who knows?

Sorry if this isn't much help, but I hope it at least may point you in possibly correct directions to consider. Though, like me, you may in the end have to more or less get used to living with it, and occasionally reminisce on how: 'In the good old days, you could get 18Mbps around here.'

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

I noticed that you say the error rates go through the roof on incoming calls..have you tried reporting this as a phone fault. You also mention that you have a bt nte 5c socket. Have you tried removing the front panel and plug router directly into the test socket. You will need to use a filter when using the test socket
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Shep41 wrote:
I noticed that you say the error rates go through the roof on incoming calls..have you tried reporting this as a phone fault.

@pvmb - I've just tried testing your phone line and no problems are flagging up from the external testing, although that's not to say there couldn't be a problem somewhere.

@Shep41 wrote:
Have you tried removing the front panel and plug router directly into the test socket. You will need to use a filter when using the test socket

If you've not tried this, this would be the next step.

Having said this, testing is actually coming back with your connection in sync higher than your estimates, so it may just be a case of the estimates being tweaked over time and your line holding on higher than current expectations for the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

@HarryB
Could this be related to a hr fault. If so why didnt a gea test pick it up?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Shep41 Whilst our supplier's tests pick up most faults there are some faults that aren't detected until an engineer goes out.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
freakent
Hooked

I finally managed to find an ADSL filter and connected my router direct to the back box. My stats are now

Downstream

Link rate: 16541 Kbps

Line attenuation: 23.0

Noise Margin: 6.0 dB

Upstream

Link rate: 1231 Kbps

Line attenuation: 11.0

Noise Margin: 5.9 dB (sometimes 6.0 dB)

Can I have the noise margin setting changed to 3db on both downstream and upstream? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us @freakent.

I'm afraid that we can only set the downstream SNR to 3db as it's not possible for us to set the upstream SNR any lower than 6db.

In addition, if the line is unstable after the change then DLM will most likely increase the SNR back to 6db.

If you're still happy for us to do this then just post back here and we'll get that arranged

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
freakent
Hooked

Yes please. Let's try the Downstream SNR at 3db.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem I've just requested that for you now and it should go through shortly

Let us know how you get on

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@HarryB wrote

Having said this, testing is actually coming back with your connection in sync higher than your estimates, so it may just be a case of the estimates being tweaked over time and your line holding on higher than current expectations for the line.

Oh dear! Does that mean I can expect it to get even worse?

Can you say what the current estimate is and how are they derived? Also, any idea why are they apparently deteriorating over time?