cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Capped to quarter meg..?

Satish

Speed Capped to quarter meg..?

I am with plusnet  over a year and on unlimited broadband  Since beginning of this month, regular droppings and very  hard to connect to internet during peak times even for normal browsing. Raised a complaint with the support team on 22nd and since then they did line testing few times but blaming CA (customer apparatus) fault. Engineer visit was arranged today and he checked everything including master socket and router but said plusnet put a cap on internet speed which is quarter meg  hence I am not connected to internet and regular droppings . So he called plusnet and they changed it to 12mb. I couldn't understand why they did and for what reason. Why they blaming fault on my apparatus all these days. Sent a message to plusnet but didn't get an answer. Still I am not getting 12mb but only 8mb download speed and upload speed 360kb. What can I do at this point? 

6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Speed Capped to quarter meg..?

Hi Satish

Plusnet won't have been blaming your equipment, but just trying to rule it out, which is something they (and any other ISP) must do before an engineer can be sent out,  If an engineer finds a fault within your premises (your equipment, internal wiring and such like), then there will be a charge to the ISP, which would be mostly passed on to you from Plusnet.  The checks that you will have been asked to do (try the test socket, try a difference router etc...) are there to reduce the chance of that happening.

Something that strikes me quite odd with what you have said is that the engineer wouldn't have been able to contact Plusnet like that.  The only contact he could have had with Plusnet is to put it on the engineer notes on his system, which would be seen by Plusnet a couple of days later.

We'd need to know a couple of things before advising how best to go from here.  What is your sync speed (ie the speed your router is saying that you are connected to the exchange)?  What was your estimated speed that Plusnet gave you when you signed up?  Presuming you are seeing the 8mb from a speed test, then how are you connecting when running that speed test (wired or wireless)?

Thanks

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I had an OR Engineer visit last year which I wasn't forewarned off, following some connection issues.

He called someone (I assumed an OR Office) whilst working here & also plugging his laptop into my router and got the profile changed.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Satish,

Sorry to hear your speeds aren't where you expect them them to be however checking your estimates for your line I can see it's capable of 7Mbps to 11Mbps with your current sync speed being 9.5Mbps.

Having a check into your connection however I'm not convinced the issue is fully gone given the drop today and only time will tell:

image1498742793310

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: XXXXXX Service ID: XXXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 29-06-2017 14:26:46
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 18.6 31.5
SNR Margin: 26.3 6.3
Errored Seconds: 0 3
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 266289 4624668
Speed: 446 9525

Although the speed has now been uncapped we are still seeing some errored seconds coming through however I have applied interleaving on the account which will come into effect in the next hour which may clear up the errored seconds.

In terms of the speed cap, I can assure you we won't have put this cap on your speeds intentionally and it would have been the automated systems way of trying to get round what ever is caused the errored seconds and drops initially. The automated system increased the signal strength (SNR) and as a result if it's increase over 15dB the speeds get capped to cope with that.
As mentioned I'm not sure the issue has completely gone and only time will tell but the connection is looking a ton better over the last 24 hours than the last few days and the interleaving I've applied hopefully should clear up the errored seconds.

If you monitor the connection over the coming days and let us know if there's any further drops or changes in speed.

Kind regards,

Ben

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed service and circuit id.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@BD wrote:
The automated system increased the signal strength (SNR) and as a result if it's increase over 15dB the speeds get capped to cope with that.

Please can you stop using this horribly incorrect phrasing? I guess people like simple and easy to understand explanations, but simplifying things to the point it's complete rubbish is not useful.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@pjmarsh wrote:
Something that strikes me quite odd with what you have said is that the engineer wouldn't have been able to contact Plusnet like that.  The only contact he could have had with Plusnet is to put it on the engineer notes on his system, which would be seen by Plusnet a couple of days later.

For broadband faults, we provide engineers with a dedicated phone number to our faults team so that they can contact us if they require any assistance whilst on the job.

@Gel wrote:

I had an OR Engineer visit last year which I wasn't forewarned off, following some connection issues.

He called someone (I assumed an OR Office) whilst working here & also plugging his laptop into my router and got the profile changed.

The engineer likely called his support team, DCoE (Diagnostics Centre of Excellence).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks @Gandalf, that's good to know.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.