cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting out a mess of wires

puddy
Grafter

Sorting out a mess of wires

I am helping my neighbour sort out  his telephone wiring but need to ask a couple of question before I raise a ticket
We both have the same make and model router a speedtouch 716wl but the fastest his line will sync is 8064 but the throughput when I do a BT speed test is 6500k yet my setup is 7150k. Sometimes I have seen questions on the forum asking Plusnet to match the  IP profile could this be the cause of the problem?
Both houses have BT -i plates installed
Our houses are now 7 years old and the BT exchange is across the road and the wires go under the road in to the exchange (I was here when BT was installing the wires).  I have replaced all his slave sockets with pre-filtered ones apart from the room the routers in I have changed this to a twin plate 1x RJ/11/rj45 1x BT socket.  This way he does not need to filter any of his BT equipment in his house now.
There are 2 things that are different His router snr 15 db but mines db 13.5 db but sometimes goes up to 14db. could this make a lot of difference?  When I do a Plusnet speed check mine comes back at 6277 and his 5239
He has more equipment installed on one line, I have 2 telephone lines and  router and Fax installed on a 2nd line only.
Perhaps he as interleaving switched on?
puddy
4 REPLIES 4
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sorting out a mess of wires

Have you checked his MTU and RWIN? Is he running a slower computer than you with more applications running?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You will only get a 7150k profile if the line synchs at 8128k, hence your neighbours profile will be slightly down on yours.
My guess is the reason his synch is not 8128k is, as you suggest. that he has interleaving on. With that low an attenuation ( 4db ) there's really no reason for interleaving ( its probably on by default ) and I would suggest requesting it be turned off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd
Have you checked his MTU and RWIN? Is he running a slower computer than you with more applications running?

Can I check that if he's runing windows vista?
He has a faster computer than mine its a dell 1545 and I am running a dell studio 1555 both have the same memory the only differance is that i am runing windows 7 ultimate and he uses Vista ultimate.  We both only internet without other programs running.
Could the differance be that he's running 32 bit and I am running windows 7 in 64bit version?
Quote from: MisterW
You will only get a 7150k profile if the line synchs at 8128k, hence your neighbours profile will be slightly down on yours.
My guess is the reason his synch is not 8128k is, as you suggest. that he has interleaving on. With that low an attenuation ( 4db ) there's really no reason for interleaving

I will raise a ticket to find out
Thank you both for helping me out
Kind regards
Puddy
HaydnExport
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd

The pc he's using wil have no effect whatsoever on his dsl link , i'd suggest you reboot his router between 10am and 3pm , it should sync at the max rate then.