cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry – please can I request another SNR reset on our line.

offbeatdave
Grafter

Sorry – please can I request another SNR reset on our line.

The details are below, but please can we have our SNR reset (and any line banding removed if it's kicked in yet). I have raised a question (#60460240) in the Help Centre late yesterday evening but haven’t had a response as yet, hence posting here.
Last week, thanks to the guys (Adam, Chris, James, Kelly) on the Member's Forum, an issue with my new ADSL2+ connection and incompatible equipment was resolved by resetting the SNR and removing line banding.
Unfortunately this weekend, in the process of tidying up all the equipment (Sky box, telephones, games consoles etc.) we pulled out when we had our previous problem, we've inadvertently caused the router to lose it's connection several times on Saturday and a few times on Sunday (your logs will show this no doubt). We are confident that this was simply down to our actions at this end due to trying the cordless phones again with the new router (which were one cause of last weeks problem with the old router) and one of us (who will remain nameless!) not putting the microfilters back on all the phones, thus causing a disconnection every time one was picked up for a bit!
Anyway, to cut a long story short(er) these self inflicted reboots have caused us to resync down at 10000 with a Noise Margin of 15dB. It was 14000-17000+ and around 6dB before we inadvertently messed it up. I guess that the system thinks that the line is unstable. We don’t believe that it is – just us that’s unstable!
Please can the SNR on the line be reset (again!) (and any banding removed if that has taken effect) which should in turn allow us to resync at the 14000-17000 we achieved before messing it up!
We’re really sorry to take up your time and request this again, but we can reassure you that we won’t be touching anything else at this end now (and someone has now had a lesson in microfilter use too!). The new router is in, works great so far (syncing at 17000 at one point before we messed up).
Thanks in advance!
56 REPLIES 56
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Sorry – please can I request another SNR reset on our line.

Hi Offbeatdave,
You don't have to apologise for taking our time up, that's exactly what we're here for! Smiley
That's been placed for you, I'd allow up-to 4 hours for that to go through although sometimes it can take overnight.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the response - really appreciate it.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Good morning!
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the SNR reset has taken place yet as the connection has been up uninterrupted for over 25 hours since we finished messing around. Has the line been banded due to the weekends frequent drops, or has the reset just not applied yet/properly?
With continued thanks.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

U need to reboot your router to kick SNR reset.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Oh, I didn't realise that this was the case - I thought it triggered a drop in connection and a resync automatically (which it hasn't as I've been synced for 30+ hours now).
If I need to reboot it myself I'll have to do this later when I get home from work - will the SNR reset still apply though if it was requested over a day ago?
offbeatdave
Grafter

I've just rebooted the router for the first time over 24 hours after the SNR request was actioned and after it has been connected for 35+ hours.
I'm not sure if it has taken effect though as the line stats are only 3dB better than they were.
ADSL Link                 Downstream                           Upstream
Connection Speed 12404 kbps (was 10000kbps)  888 kbps
Line Attenuation         21.6 db                                         10.4 db
Noise Margin       12.2 db (was 15db)               14.4 db
Any thoughts on whether this slight improvement was simply due to natural stabilisation.
The line should settle at around 6dB if previous experience is anything to go by and the line should connect at 14000-17000kbps.
Does the SNR reset need re-applying?
offbeatdave
Grafter

Yeah, just to confirm, I don't think that Monday's SNR reset has taken effect. Please can this be investigated.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You SNR reset actaully failed due to your line still being in it training period from the last SNR reset.
I have adjusted your profile to match your sync speed and can place another SNR reset on the 5th of this month.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Ah, thank you! That explains it!
offbeatdave
Grafter

Good morning!
Yipee! It’s the 5th October!
Please can I request that reset of the SNR on my line today. Thanks.
Sorry if I’ve asked before but when the reset takes effect, should it re-sync automatically? I believe that it can take up to 24 hours (not a problem at all).
Thanks for all your help thus far – almost there now I feel!

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's been placed for you now, it can take up-to 24 hours and it will automatically re-sync when it goes through.
So you just need to sit back and relax and do nothing  Wink
Let me know how it goes.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Nothing as yet, but I'll sit back and wait for the action to begin at some stage! Once it's happened I'll report back!
offbeatdave
Grafter

Just a quick heads up for any PN bods if they stalk this forum at the weekend.
We're 20 hours into the 'up to 24 hours' and there is no sign of the SNR having taken place yet. Still four to go though so watch this space...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'll take a look for you when I get into the office at 9 Smiley