cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry but another speed problem

kaybee327

Sorry but another speed problem

Joined plusnet just over a month ago and regret to say have had minor niggles about download speeds from the start. BUT I dont completely blame plusnet as I thing they have tried (bless em).
My details
Using windows XL, or Windows 7 or windows 8 - doesnot matter which.
Came from BT who said line max 21Mb expect around 16-17 Mb d/l and gor around 15-16 so close line very stable.
Plusnet say max is 18 Mb and my IP profile is set at 15.97. Trouble is (pardon expression) up and down like a whores draws. BUT whenever Plusnet test it they can find nothing wrong.
See attachment to see what I mean.
Any suggestions welcome as to be honest at the moment do not fee like staying with Plusnet.
Keith
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sorry but another speed problem

I suppose the first question is where did you get those speeds from as they are labeled connection speed
kaybee327

Sorry forgot to mention in first post  distance to exchange is 748 metres and cabling is in a direct line up one road
Results came from http://testmy.net as I could not get the BT speedtester to complete.
I am not arguing about the speeds they show as I cannot guarrantee accuracy but the point was to show variations in speed
Keith
Now gone up again TO 10.83 
Thu Aug 16 2012 @ 9:24:49 pm    10.83 Mbps            1.35 MB/s  Plusnet
Thu Aug 16 2012 @ 9:02:47 pm    11.02 Mbps            1.38 MB/s  Plusnet
Thu Aug 16 2012 @ 8:32:35 pm        9.98 Mbps            1.25 MB/s  Plusnet               
Thu Aug 16 2012 @ 8:02:24 pm        8.23 Mbps            1.03 MB/s  Plusnet 
Thu Aug 16 2012 @ 7:52:22 pm          328 Kbps            41 kB/s    Plusnet 

kaybee327

Here is  a test with BT before latest rise
 FAQ

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
4.97 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed                                                                                                   Note: Still showing 21 Mbps max
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.97 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.97 Mbps                                                                         Note: ip profile is certainly low
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.23 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.23Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.         Surely  they do not mean Plusnet   Grin Grin Grin
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just checked your account and can see that there's a ticket open with the faults team at the moment. Can you tell me what happens when you try the BT tester? I ask as using that can be our way of proving such an issue to our suppliers so it may help your case out a lot if we can get you going with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kaybee327

Hi Adam
seems an intermittant fault as sometimes it goes thru OK see above.
Othertimes it does the download test and the upload test and then freezes before "sendinding results to server.
Do not know if BT tester is optimistic or testmy pessemistic but testmy is always 2-4 meg slower.
Last 4 with testmy. Also as usual I always manage to check the testmy speed after the low one e.g. missed the 1202 but got the1253 hence the BT at 1254  Huh
1150       10.92Mbps
1202            745Kbps
1222        11.13Mbps
1253          10.3Mbps
1254                                      BT says 14.4Mbps
It is just irritating when I get such a variety of speeds which are basically "all within spec at 4 - 21 Mbps" but any streaming media is more like a slide show , speech has a very bad stutter and as for Voip forget it.    Crazy
For info Ithe link is the cabling route from exchange point A to residence point B (Xshaped building) https://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=53.68434,-1.838279&daddr=Victoria+Rd,+Elland,+West+Yorkshire+HX5...

Keith  
Fault was supposed to be closed as I understood