cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

alex7127
Grafter

Re: Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

TBH I stopped running RSL for the last few weeks.......as I totally 'walked away' from this.
I have started it up again though and for the last couple of days SNRM seems quite content at 6dB +/- 0.1 ups n downs
Alex
Estragon
Rising Star

Are you on ADSL2+, ADSL2 or ADSL?
I'm asking because of the 3dB margin question, if yours is that stable over 24 hours.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Estragon, I strongly recommend you have a good read back through this thread, you will then see what has been done on Alex's line and why.
Estragon
Rising Star

Crazy
I read the first two pages before joining in, then checked near the end as it was going nowhere in those two pages. As it seemed here to have been almost resolved by some action or other, I thought a fresh start seemed worthwhile. On the assumption that no previous tests were relevant, as the main issue had been solved.  We were now just interested in the possibility and viability of 3dB noise margin. Maybe I have it wrong :).
As for reading 12 pages starting in October to find out what ADSLx variant he is on ...  :-X.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So there are several recent improvements, a long period without loss of sync, a 6dB target noise margin resulting in a better download speed and a few days measuring the actual noise margin when it has proved to be very stable.  And you have a neighbour with a very stable and long-lived connection implying that there are no (longer?) local problems such as might have been caused by your nearby radio ham.  All-in-all that would seem to be a lot better.   
Anotherone
Champion

@Estragon
There is no evidence it's been resolved. Alex's line has never been able to cope with a 3dB Target since moving onto 21CN, it struggled previously with 6dB on 20CN. Alex has made it quite clear he hasn't been monitoring of late, and in the last few days the problems has not reared it's ugly head, that is nothing unusual, and is no proof the problem has gone away. His line has been deliberately profiled on ADSL1 on 21CN with a 6dB Margin as this has been giving him a more stable connection than he's previously had.
@RR
There you go jumping to incorrect conclusions again. There have been no "recent" improvements, the Target SNRM has been at 6db for some considerable time, apart from a brief period towards the end of November when it went to 12dB after a spate of power cuts. It is also evident from Alex's post that although there was a reasonably lengthy period with no loss of sync, that doesn't mean the problem has gone away - Alex hasn't been monitoring - it just didn't cause loss of sync - but now there has been a recent loss of sync.
Alex has told us that his neighbour's line is performing much better than his, which is why I've asked if he can get the full stats to compare. We need to try and discovered what is different with his neighbours line and why it doesn't seem to be affected by the same problem. That would then give us something specific to get PN to persuade OR to look at.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Sniping at me again, Anotherone?  Give it a break!
Plusnet can tell what the target SNR for your line is from information in the reports they receive.  You or I as clients do not know this; we have to infer it or ask Plusnet.  Alex7127 reported 25 days of stability at a 9dB SNR.  I Inferred that that was the target value at that time and now it seems to have dropped to 6 dB.  I might be right about this, I might be wrong, only Plusnet might know for sure.  Alex7127 has a neighbour with, it appears, a 3dB target noise margin.  This is a "reward" from the DLM for a line that it considers particularly stable.  So it's a reasonable inference, but not a certainty, that the neighbour never suffered from the "noise events" that caused problems for Alex7127.  That's got to be a clue.  But maybe, hopefully, those "noise events" have ceased.  In fact for ADSL2+(21CN)  "couple of days at 6dB +/- 0.1 ups n downs" seems remarkably stable.         
Anotherone
Champion

You have an absolute cheek Reed Richards accusing me of sniping at you. I have been very tolerant with you after some of your snide remarks and incorrect comments in number of your posts in a number of threads where you have either forgotten what was previously said or have failed to read the history, and even Plusnet staff have criticised you in some recent threads for your failure to read what had alreadfy been posted.
Considering you have posted in this thread before on a number of occasions, you have obviously forgotten about the periodic randomness of the behaviour of Alex's line and have clearly not bothered to re-read it to refresh your memory. Hence your conclusions are wong.
The 25 days without loss of sync was at 6dB Target Noise Margin. Read what Alex has posted.
And I repeat that does not prove the problem has gone away, mearly that it hasn't caused loss of sync as on many previous occasions.
Your continued posting in this manner is disruptive and extremely unhelpful to Alex in particular.
Alex is not a technical person and has done extremely welll to cope with the difficulties of this problem for some considerable time. I think you should show more consideration before posting statements that are not correct and aren't helpful to Alex's situation.
alex7127
Grafter

@RR. Anotherone has 'been with me' for a good year or so and has great knowledge of my problems. This current thread should not be taken in isolation....there have been previous threads and numerous PM's between him and I. It HAS to be bourne in mind........for a good year.....from time to time I/we think my gremlins have gone away.........only for them to start up again.  What I have recently posted....... re next doors BB has always been the same, in that he has always had a better connection than me. This is either the line/card at exchange or the router.....who knows. Next door has never had cause to monitor his line with RSL so it is speculation as to if he has also had the 'events' that I have......I ask the questuon again....could it be that his Netgear router is better at handling the 'events' than my  Technicolor. If this was the case then maybe he has had the 'events' too....but does not lose sync.  I do value your input and suggestions RR as I do everyone that has offered help/suggestions, but I think it is only fair to say that Anotherone has the best 'handle' on my problems......probably more even than PN themselves!
KR's
Alex
Anotherone
Champion

It certainly could be that his Netgear is handling things better Alex, but before jumping to any conclusions it would be more than useful to see the full stats for his line if you could get them from him. Also what model Netgear is he using?
alex7127
Grafter

OK.....what stats do you want. He is even less technical than me!
He did tell me the model....but I did not write it down.......it went in then........ got lost in the grey matter  Wink I will ask him again. But he did Google it whilst I was there and it was sub £30 I know that. I am willing to buy one for that money  to give it a try!
Alex Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

The usual Downstream and Upstream stuff - Uptime, Connection (sync speeds), Attenuation, Noise margins, Errors figures etc.- the sort of thing you've posted on here many a time from your 582n/585.
Now it could be that if he's less technical than you Huh , he may not know how to get them all. So if you post the full model number and version (the latter is also important), someone will now exactly how to get to them  :).
Estragon
Rising Star

As 6dB is the standard setting for sync-time noise margin, and the speed for that on ADSL is in line with what his neighbour gets on 3dB margin, then if it holds connection the problem is fixed as far as OR and BTW are concerned.
Given the two speeds it looks like a high attenuation, (63dB+)?), and ADSL2+ would almost certainly be the worst option of the three available protocols. ADSL2 might give 50-100kbps more, but with higher error rates that might be counter-productive re stability and throughput.
IIRC the drop wire was replaced recently, and has helped a lot.  Nothing in the tread before that is really relevant to what follows it.
alex7127
Grafter

I don't have a drop-wire,  our line is underground. And all variants of ADSL have been tried, this is currently the more stable one.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have a Netgear router, a DG834PN (several years old now but still going strong).  I'm on ADSL2+ with a downstream attenuation of 38.5dB as reported by the router.  I used to be on a 6dB target noise margin and my download sync rates were in the 9000s.  Now I'm on a 3dB target noise margin and my download sync rates are in the 10,000s provided I establish the connection during daylight hours.  At night my SNR drifts down by about 2dB but my router still copes when the reported SNR is less than 1dB.  I have always attributed this to the fact that my line is free from noise spikes or other noise events rather than to the make of router I own.
Alex7127, part (or perhaps all) of the reason your neighbour gets a better speed than you must be because his target noise margin is 3dB whilst yours is 6dB (as best we can tell).  On a Netgear router you need to select Router Status then the Show Statistics button at the bottom of the page for more details to compare with your own.  But a 3dB target noise margin would almost certainly not be sustainable whilst experiencing the "noise events" you were reporting in November.