cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooooooo Slow.........

spongmiester

Sooooooo Slow.........

Hi All
I am currently just starting my second month as a PN user and the problems have started, First month everything was fine... until i reached near my bandwidth limit then the connection halved from about 220kbps to around 110kbps, I know PN manage the traffic but this is ridiculous, The main reason i went with PN is because of the unlimited downloads on a night, But my connection has been running at it's slowest speed for 2 days now, Am i right in believing that i would be getting line speed after midnight, I hope someone knows what is going on as it is unbearable at the moment any sort of streaming or browsing is nigh on impossible due to constant buffering or connection time outs.
Please help
spongmiester
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sooooooo Slow.........

Can you please provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
spongmiester

Here you go...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you post the other two bits requested,.
Are the speeds you quoted in kilobits per second or kilobytes per second and how are you testing the speeds
Finally the probable reason for the speed dropping is the noise margin increasing from 6dB to 9dB which isd due the very high number of error seconds - note that this doesn't reset unless the router is rebooted so will probably reflect a months worth of errors
Do you have a test socket - if so can you connect to that and report the router stats
spongmiester

Oldjim
Resting Legend

These results show that your line is being profiled correctly now we need to find out why it is so slow - see my post 2 up
spongmiester

Kilobits, No test socket (or extensions) downlod and internet speed noticed whilst grabbing Linux and distros both from reliable UK based servers
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK then you are complaining about the traffic management
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Depending on the time of day you should be seeing not much less than 256kbps so the question is why.
The speed tests show that you aren't being globally throttled due to exceeding your allowance so I don't know why you should suddenly see the speeds being halved
spongmiester

That's the thing have just looked again at the link you provided and on my package (PN Extra) 12am-6pm my connection should be line speed, do you recommend i contact tech suport?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Spongmiester,
I'd say that the next best step for you would be raising a fault with us via here: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: spongmiester
... until i reached near my bandwidth limit then the connection halved from about 220kbps to around 110kbps,

Did you actually hit your bandwidth limit?
Were you supposed to be reset overnight on Friday night?
Sounds to me like you're in restricted mode, and due to some accounts not having their usage reset correctly over the weekend you're still stuck in that mode?
Can any Plusnet peeps check that out?
Cheers
B.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just checked for you, there's no restriction in place.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
spongmiester

Thanks Adam
Still no joy although browsing seems to have picked up a bit
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK,
I can see that you raised a ticket using the broadband fault checker so we'll be picking that up for you ASAP.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team