cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonos can't stream and can't forward ports for cctv

owillingham

Sonos can't stream and can't forward ports for cctv

Hello,  I had a look to see if I can find anyone with similar issues, but in the end figured its best to give as much information as I can about my own specific problems and see if anyone can help me.  I have recently moved over to plusnet from sky, and had to change my router in the process.  I now have their Technicolor router.  I have a wired network in the house which is connected to the router, plus many other items such as laptops, tablets, phones, games consoles etc that connect via wifi.  Generally speaking everything is working fine except for two specific problems..
1.  Sonos
I have three Sonos zone players connected to the wired network in the house (one directly to the router, the other two via a network switch connected to the router).  the sonos system requires that at least one device is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable for online content, and ordinarily that's all that is required, no configuring etc.  Since using the plusnet router however the Sonos sysem won't stream any online content, cannot connect to its own servers to check for updates, or play radio etc.
2.  CCTV system
I have a cctv dvr also connected to the wired network in the house, and each time I get a new router I have to assign it a static ip address on the internal network, and forward ports 80, 5050, 6050 & 7050 so that I can access it when I'm on holiday etc to keep an eye on the house.  I should mention I have a dyndns account to enable me to log in, as the updater software on my pc lets it keep track of changes to my external IP address  (I have also put my dyndns settings in the router but I have found this to be unreliable in the past so still use the pc updating software).  I have given the dvr a static address of 192.168.1.100, created an "application" using both udp & tcp ports (80-80, 5050-5050, 6050-6050, 7050-7050) and have assigned the application to my dvr on the address 192.168.1.100  I have then used a port checker from port-forward.com to test my ports.  at first I couldn't even ping the router and the ports weren't open.  I then enabled the ping responder, and the port checker can ping the router but it still says the ports are closed.  I have tried assigning the dmz to the dvr and also tried enabling game mode but neither has any affect.
I had emailed plusnet directly about my cctv problem but simply got a reply (after a few days) saying I need to forward ports.  Which unless I have done it wrong (which I don't think I have, even looked at a guide on port-forwards website to double check) doesn't help me in the slightest.  I must be overlooking something however and welcome any ideas or advice anyone here can give me.  Many thanks in advance.
Owen
3 REPLIES 3
owillingham

Re: Sonos can't stream and can't forward ports for cctv

OK, its just the cctv problem with the closed ports now.  Rather sheepishly I can report that the issue with the sonos zoneplayers was resolved by turning them all off and on again.  Not sure why I hadn't done that already, other than to say I had tried it with one of them, but not all three together.  The issue with the ports for the dvr is still bugging me however, and welcome and advice.  Many thanks.
owillingham

Ok, having decided not to rule out anything obvious (like I had with the sonos issue), I looked at the whole thing again, and long story short - its fixed.  I had set the ports up correctly on the router, I simply hadn't changed the gateway address on the dvr.  My old router was 192.168.1.1 and the technicolour is 192.168.1.254  Again I feel stupid for not having spotted this earlier but pleased its all now fixed.  Hopefuly anyone suffering the same problems may find it useful (assuming there is anyone as daft as me for not doing these things first)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you fixed the issue - it's really helpful.
It's really easy to miss such, what now seems so obvious, settings.
Let us know if we can be of any help anyhow Smiley