cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somthing wrong - or is it me?

tonycollinet
Grafter

Somthing wrong - or is it me?

Note - I am still in "three tickets open land" so can't raise a ticket for this.
I do hope this is nothing to do with the fact that I have supplied my MAC to a competitor

Got a solid sync at 15Mb/s. IP Profile is 13Mb. Everything has been fine for the last few days.
However, speed test is now (Bbmax and speedtest.net) only running at around 800kb/s.

I've tried rebooting the router. (Still plugged into test socket)
Gateway is
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse North.:

BT Speedtest result
Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
857 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 857 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15320 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 28.29:18.37:53.41 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
348 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 348 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

EDIT : Exchange is green.
18 REPLIES 18
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Somthing wrong - or is it me?

What's your current line speed according to PlusNet?
tonycollinet
Grafter

As said above - 13Mb
Speed test has gone up to about 2Mb/s - still yesterday it was fine at about 12mb/s
I've phoned support - but all they were able to do was confirm I am syncing OK.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

No, that's the BT IP Profile. PlusNet's copy (on the link I gave) may be much lower, and therefore causing your problem. It generally follows the BT IP Profile about 12-24 hours behind, but can sometimes get stuck, needing intervention form the DCT to resolve.
tonycollinet
Grafter

It is 13mb also on that link
EDIT - speed tests have been gradually improving - from 1.5mb to 2mb to 3 last one was 8 (Still 4 short of my usual 12 though 🙂

EDIT again - back down to 4.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

OK, so the IP Profiles match and line up with your synch rate. So, are you using Ethernet or wireless?
tonycollinet
Grafter

Ethernet
But I get the same result on a laptop with wireless (and ethernet disconnected from the router - so nothing else is connecting.)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

OK. So, you're in the test socket, connected by cable, and getting well below your synch rate and IP Profile. Only other things you can eliminate are the filters/RJ11 cable and the router itself. Otherwise, you should probably raise a fault.
tonycollinet
Grafter

I'm going to leave it till tomorrow - I'm suspecting a local exchange related issue. We'll see if it gets fixed overnight.
tonycollinet
Grafter

And now it is morning. Speed is still rubbish - including with a laptop pugged into the router with a new Ethernet cable.
The only other thing I can try now is swap the router. Not sure I can be bothered though, as I change to BE next Wednesday.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Speed test is still pretty poor.
Interestingly, this guy on think broadband is having (seemingly) similar problems - high sync, profile, and bb speed, but very poor actual throughput.. Are there some problems with capacity on 21cn?
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/3968738-dead-slow.html?view=collapsed&vc=1
Although it wont help me, this should be looked at because clearly there is something odd going on.

Laughable

And a little later - should I get my dial up modem connected? I may be needing it.
aj1soad
Grafter

same thing is happening to me tonight and ive never had it this slow before so must be something with plusnet
tonycollinet
Grafter

Plusnet
Is there any significance in the fact that you are not showing any packet loss graphs?
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml
tonycollinet
Grafter

And now it is morning - speed is fine - where are the excessive peak time speed restrictions coming from?
tonycollinet
Grafter

Is it evening?