cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something wrong with my router?

Hollycroft
Grafter

Something wrong with my router?

For some weeks now I've been getting very slow internet response & I'm wondering whether there is a fault with my router. I have an iMac in an upstairs room connected wirelessly to my router which is down in the groundfloor hallway, connected directly to the main phone socket. Next to my PC is a wireless printer, which has worked fine in the past, and at the moment I am often unable to print to it - the printer says 'receiving data' but usually gives up after a long wait. I can't perform easily some of your recommended checks because my PC is not next to the router.
Here are stats from my router, collected this morning:
Link Information

Uptime: 14 days, 7:54:58

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 18,749 / 6,588

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 882 / 5,752

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 207.39 / 1.44

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 46.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 4.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 196,617 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 943,369 / 147,372,533

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,816,542 / 5,981

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 743,181,116 / 52,454
Please advise me what else I can do to improve performance. It's driving me nuts! Thank you.
17:52 Finally been able to run a BT speedtest, Results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.07 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.56Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
"We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time."
Incidentally, I can see 11 networks in my network view. Might my problems just be due to heavy traffic/congestion?
4 REPLIES 4
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Something wrong with my router?

I know next to nothing but until someone with a bit more knowledge comes along here are afew ideas.
According to your stats you have uploaded 207gb of files. On your up speed that would take ages?
If at the same time you are trying to print something wirelessly maybe the router just cant cope?
It could be congestion - is this usually happening in the evening?  you dont say which exchange you are on?
It could also be wifi congestion or interference from neighbours wifi - try changing channels?
There seems to be a lot of errors CRC and FEC  which might be down to line quality.  Do you have a corded  landline phone?
if so try the bt quiet line test  17070 option2 for pops and crackles.
Maybe a PN person will pick this up tomorrow and run a line quality test.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well how disappointing that there's not been a Plusnet response here. Nevertheless, cedlor made some good suggestions and comments there despite his lack of detailed knowledge. But as you haven't replied, we don't know if things are any better.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hey
This sounds like an issue with your wireless speeds, which would most likely be resolved by changing the wifi channel. If you're seeing 11 networks then it is very likely that any one of them are causing interference with your wifi network. As all these networks use the same radio signal frequency.
Here's a good guide to fixing this: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
However, if there's a speed issue when you plug your computer into the router using an ethernet cable, then you can raise this as a fault at http://faults.plus.net
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm struggling to find your account through the usual means.
Can you PM me your username?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team