cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something has changed with how bandwidth is shared on my connections

LordFox
Rising Star

Something has changed with how bandwidth is shared on my connections

I've noticed this over the last few days, although it might have been happening longer. I'm on the "Extra with 60GB" package at the moment.
Overnight, I schedule both usenet and P2P use. For as long as I've been doing that, years, the bandwidth has been pretty much evenly shared between newsleecher and utorrent. If anything, P2P has taken most bandwidth when downloading (I've deliberately tuned things that way) so that the few things I use it for get chance to finish, then usenet can take the full bandwidth for the rest of the night.
Recently though, usenet traffic has completely dominated to the extent that I can't even get a small file on P2P, in eight hours, without stopping usenet completely. Then I get all bandwidth to utorrent, so there is no actual problem with either usenet or P2P connections. It's just a sharing thing.
Last night I got around this by dropping my number of connections in newsleecher to just 1 to limit it's use, but then of course once P2P had finished I was not getting anywhere near full line use on the only remaining (usenet) connection and files that I would normally have got on usenet overnight are not finished.
Has something changed with traffic management that would have caused this? I've certainly not changed anything myself and, as I said, I've been doing it this way for years so I know the traffic patterns depending on what I'm doing.
It's not a complaint - I would just like to know so that I can sort things out at my end.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Something has changed with how bandwidth is shared on my connections

Probably a total red herring but can you check the Plusnet Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed as mine just bounced up to a very high level and if it is much higher than the IP profile that could give the results you are seeing
The other thing is that on your product they are both supposed to be bronze so it might be worth running wireshark and see if they are both categorised the same
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

After you've checked Jim's idea I suggest you wireshark the traffic for each to see which queues they are being allocated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

That's unexpected.  We haven't changed anything.  Can you get some wiresharks?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
LordFox
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies - if nothing has been changed deliberately, then something odd is going on. It might be at my end but I've not done anything myself.
I'll try to stay awake tonight and get a wireshark log.
Edit to add:
I've just checked Oldjim's link and got this:
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    18 Mb

My modem currently says 20459 kbps and last night I was getting a steady 2.1MB/s in newsleecher. That is the usual for me since ADSL2+ came along. here.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The wiresharks can be done at any time, it just needs a quick check of each to see which queue the traffic is going in to. If they are in different queues we can predict what will happen when the system gets busy.
LordFox
Rising Star

I though that just after I posted... logs done and I think that I've found a glitch...
At first, logs for both usenet and P2P looked as expected, with the Differentiated Services Field at 0x20.
Then I noticed that further down in the usenet log only, it changed to 0x80 for interactive traffic.
I use SSL on my usenet connection, but always have and that's not been an issue before.
I can PM or email the logs to someone if desired.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Zip up the wireshark for the Usenet, then raise a ticket here and attach the zipped file ("Add a supplementary file to your question" below the text box)
If you post the number of the ticket on here Kelly can make sure it gets looked at by the right people.
LordFox
Rising Star

Ticket opened, #63704577.
I ran the trace again just to be sure, and the same thing happened again at almost exactly the same place (around line 75 in the log).
I'll probably be moving over to the new unlimited package, provided that I can keep my static IP block (I've already raised a ticket to check that). I did wonder if the issue I had noticed was due to the new traffic management system for the new packages but it would seem not.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Looks like we need to update the usenet signature.  It's funny actually, as it's demonstrating that the system works perfectly..... it's just working perfectly on the wrong type of traffic Cheesy
(again shows how important this forum is to keeping our platform running.  THANKS GUYS!)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
LordFox
Rising Star

Glad to have helped  Grin