cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone using my broadband with an old router at a different address?

shanekeane2001

Someone using my broadband with an old router at a different address?

Hello,
If I were to give an old router away to someone, is it possible they could use my plusnet details to use my broadband with that router at a different address? It doesn't seem very likely to me, but I'd like to be sure.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Someone using my broadband with an old router at a different address?

Yes they could if they are with Plusnet
You should do a factory reset before getting rid
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Their telephone line would have to be set up for Plusnet broadband, but then yes they could use your login details.
Edit: If the router is one that automatically configured itself when plugged in (i.e. uses TR069), just deleting your details is not sufficient. You need to ask Plusnet to remove it from their database before handing it on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shanekeane2001

But would plusnet therefore know the address or the telephone number of the person so doing?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Oldjim
You should do a factory reset before getting rid

A factory reset might not solve the problem if the router is set to automatically connect (without user entering login details) as it may still be recognised by the automated systems as 'belonging' to the previous user.
[Not correct - see reply #11, thanks for confirming Oldjim]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shanekeane2001
But would plusnet therefore know the address or the telephone number of the person so doing?

I suspect the usage would on the surface just point back to you.
The TR069 I mentioned in my last post is set up using the router serial number - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110170.msg944465.html#msg944465 where I asked about PN updating the router firmware.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shanekeane2001

But pursuant to your previous post, details of that router attached to my account would be in their database?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I understand it the TR 069 system used by Plusnet only works if the phone line matches the router serial number so removing the login from the router will fix it
shanekeane2001

I'm just wondering if plusnet will have details of any routers with which I accessed the internet while using a plusnet account?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They won't
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Oldjim
As I understand it the TR 069 system used by Plusnet only works if the phone line matches the router serial number so removing the login from the router will fix it

That would make sense Jim but I'd rather see this confirmed by Plusnet (this is the reason that I've never 'recycled' old Plusnet routers.
I would hope that disabling 'Automatic Hardware Setup' here: https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php might also prevent the problem but I've never been able to disable mine:
Oops! That didn't work.
It looks like a system error has stopped us from updating your selection. Sorry about that!
Please come back later and give it another go.

Also tried raising a ticket and was told it had been disabled but it still shows as enabled on my account.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It was confirmed but in the hidden forums where I was discussing the use of a Plusnet supplied router on TalkTalk
This was posted by Mark on 2nd Sept 2012
With us, the router serial number and "greenlight" PPP details have to match the end user account to allow the config to be deployed.