Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sort of constructive dismissal?

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Some sort of constructive dismissal?

To be fair to plusnet, since encountering problems with my phone line and uber slow broadband speed since the beginning of last March, they have given me a full refund at my request at the end of each month on a pro rata basis - which is fair enough. Now however they have 'changed the rules, and are now intent on only giving me a refund when the fault is finally cleared which does not look likely to happen any time soon .

Is this some sort of constructive dismissal in that my only course of action is to leave in a huff and go to another provider?

It would certainly get me out of plusnet's hair but unfortunately and presumably, it would not get me a better service whoever I signed up with given that BT are the real source of all my problems.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Some sort of constructive dismissal?

Hi, refunding at the end of each month during a fault isn't how we would usually handle this which is why someone may have advised we can't do that. Sorry for any confusion and we're not trying to shove you away (it's not in our interest to do that with customers)

I can see a transcript of chat which contradicts what we've previously advised so I will pass on some feedback about that for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for your reply Adam, but it cannot be right surely to a) now move the goalposts given that I have been getting a refund at the end of each month and b) have a situation whereby I have to pay upfront each month for a problem you have long known about and one which is unlikely to be fixed any time soon by BT. 

I'm sure we can all consider more than a few analogies. How about, 'I'm going to fix your car, I cannot give you a date when it will be done...... but I want five hundred smackers up front first'

Doesn't work does it, or am I missing something?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi,

We're not saying the goalposts have moved. We can continue to refund at the end of each month, I was just stating that's not what we would normally do but we should continue as that's what we originally promised.

I'm sorry to see someone contradicted this without taking the time to look that we had been handing things in that manner previously.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks again for reply Adam and for being so prompt. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

An email I received earlier today (see part of it below) below suggests it will not be refunded so perhaps you can chase that up for me and ensure that a payment is now made?

"Once the fault has been resolved we will be able to provide a refund of all effected services to cover the cost of the subscription from the date the fault was reported to Plusnet until the date Openreach confirmed that the fault was fixed"

Cheers, and much obliged. 

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Another email this morning telling me it will take a "few days" before it is reviewed. Am I getting the runaround? 

"I have checked and can see that a separate ticket was raised (ref: 128750064) to deal with the refunds. This is due to be reviewed by the billing team in a few days. They will provide you a separate update. If you have any questions regarding billing in the mean time, that is the best ticket to place the query on"

Why something so seemingly straightforward in the past has now become complicated and drawn out now is totally beyond me, it really is.  

Herman Melville
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not all agents who have been handling the fault can manage refunds which is why that's been done. I can so I've taken ownership of that for you and have refunded this month's broadband fee. You should see the funds for that reach your account within the next 10 working days.

With regards to the fault I expect that we'll be able to update you again tomorrow morning at the latest.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Legend

I realised that Adam although I was surprised because the agent I was talking was supposed to be handling account enquiries and she needed to pass me on to 'engineering' in order authorise any refund. Should the faults continue for yet another month I was told that any more total refund would proceed and be processed automatically so we'll see.

In the meantime I will look out for the extra refund for the month of June.

Thanks again.  

Herman Melville
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is this some sort of constructive dismissal in that my only course of action is to leave in a huff and go to another provider?

I don't know whether they will always do this, but after I reached the end of my tolerance I was able to get Plusnet to agree for me to migrate away without penalty.   I think when it comes down to it that's easier for them than to actually fix an extremely unhappy customer.

Going off "in a huff" would leave you having to defend their claim for contractual penalties, potentially in court if they took it that far.