cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sites OK others just will not load..... baffled!

JacquiC

Some sites OK others just will not load..... baffled!

I’m a new customer and have only just transferred so appreciate the ’10 day’ rule, but I thought I’d just see if anyone else had experienced this as it does seem a bit unusual (I’ve logged this as a fault and am waiting for a response).  My issue is that I have a perfectly good, stable and reasonably fast internet connection for some sites ONLY, and with others NOTHING i.e. they won’t even load.  I’ve been able to stream iPlayer to my TV with no buffering/freezing at all, can navigate a variety of websites (B&Q/BBC News/Facebook/You Tube) with no problems or lagging/freezing, but with ebay/ehow/MSN.com (my default browser) and others they just will not load.  I have tried different browsers and can get ebay on Firefox after about 10 mins but only the unformatted site that disappears as soon as you click on it.  I have a Belkin N600 DB router which is only 4 months old and has always worked perfectly well with my laptop of the same age with my previous ISP.  I tried a speed checker both wired and wifi and got more or less the same speed as I’ve always had (between 5-6mb - it is connected to the main phone box) . I am completely baffled as I would have thought if it was a speed/internet connection thing it would be the same for all sites and not just some.  Any ideas anyone?
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Some sites OK others just will not load..... baffled!

What MTU setting do you have on the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JacquiC

Hi, I'm at work at the moment so I'll check when I get back and let you know.  However  I've just googled MTU as I had no idea what it is, but having done so I know that I was asked to change it by the Plusnet support when I set up my router I think from 1492 to 1500 or vice versa - I'm not sure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It should normally be set to 1500.
Are you running Windows 7 on the PC or something else?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BBC news pages seem noticeably slow to load today.
JacquiC

Hi, well changing the MTU setting seems to have done the trick!  There is a message on my router next to the MTU box that says "Do not make changes to the MTU setting unless your ISP specifically requires a different setting than 1454".  I changed it back to 1454 and it works fine!  Just for info, my router is a Belkin N600DB and I'm running Windows 7.  I did a quick check online and there was some advice for Windows 7 about changing the MTU to less than 1500 if you get connection problems.  Not sure how it all works but I now have a full connection on all sites.  Thanks for your help as I didn't know MTU settings even existed...... you learn something everyday!