Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some help and/or advice please . .?

essenby
Grafter

Some help and/or advice please . .?

HI,
My broadband connection, whilst not the fastest on the planet, has remained stable now at around 2Meg like forever.  So when things slowed down a couple of weeks ago I put it down to Win Vista - as you would  ;).  After all, my PlusNet broadband is rock steady.:D.  However, when I noticed the same sluggishness on my standby win XP machine I decided a speed test was in order.  Imagine my horror when I found my download and upload speeds about the same!  Shocked
I've just checked my profile on PlusNet and my estimated line speed, checked on 21/5/10 was 2000 (no surprise there) but my current line speed is down at 500.  So there's the problem.
Now absolutely nothing, repeat nothing, has been changed in my house set-up.  No phones added, wires moved or anything.  The wireless router is directly plugged into a split master socket anyway so there is very little that can affect it.  However, thinking back - we had a power cut around about the time things got slow, and the perceived "line drop" caused by the cut is more than likely what caused my profile to be adjusted.
So the question is, what is the best way to get this back up to the more normal 2000 I've had for donkey's?  Do I raise a ticket , and if so what do I say on it to avoid it being treated as the "run of the mill" speed issue with all the attendant speed checking etc that would go with that?  Or dare I hope that a sympathetic CS rep on here will jump in and "tweak" it for me - please?
Pretty pretty please?

Barrie
16 REPLIES 16
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Some help and/or advice please . .?

Quote from: essenby
Now absolutely nothing, repeat nothing, has been changed in my house set-up.

It's more than 90% certain that it has, but you're just not aware.
e.g. damaged cables, corroded joints, thermal expansion etc. etc.
Moved any furniture, had any carpets relaid?
Your router stats from the BT Test Socket would be informative.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, essenby,
You've been connected for over 6 days, i've just tested the line and can only see 704k sync. I'd be interested to see what it'd be like after a reboot. If you could do that and get back to me I'll check it again.
Jojo Smiley
essenby
Grafter

@HPsauce -
No furniture moved or carpets laid.  And unfortunately router stats are not possible unless you can advise me differently?  For my sins (and stupidity) when my Linksys WAG54GS started playing up I replaced it with a Belkin F5D7632uk4 and nothing I have tried has been successful in obtaining stats from it  Cry
@JoJo
Thanks for checking - I'll re-boot the router tonight when I get home.  You did mean the router right - rather than the laptop  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

http://talktalkmembers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7971&page=2
Have you tried the guides for Belkin at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
I know your model isn't listed but others seem to have had some success.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
essenby
Grafter

Hi Strat - I was a great believer in Kitz so it was the first place I went to.  As mine is one of the later models it doesn't accept Telnet connections, and I think the latest , DSL-Max compatible, firmware has either done away with, or changed the names of the hidden pages  Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: essenby

@JoJo
Thanks for checking - I'll re-boot the router tonight when I get home.  You did mean the router right - rather than the laptop  Grin

Yes, lol, the router Smiley
Hary
Grafter

essenby
Grafter

OK - got home and checked the login page of the router which reported a Data Rate of around 750 - just as you indicated.  I re-booted the router and now it shows a download rate of 2560 - result I thought  Smiley
However - just done a speed test on SpeedTest.Net and it's still only around a quarter of what I expected:-

My PlusNet profile is still showing 500 - will that change or does someone have to kick it?
@Hary
Thanks for th help but no joy.  All I get is  :-
Can't open file ADSL_status_main.stm  Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi essenby,
just checked BT systems and your profile was raised today, so I have brought ours into line with it.
Jojo Smiley
essenby
Grafter

Thanks JoJo.  Will I need another re-boot to take advantage of that?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, when we set it, it did an administrative reset, which I've just checked happened at 12.15
Jojo Smiley
essenby
Grafter

Great - thanks again Smiley

(just got the router stats issue to sort out now  :D)
essenby
Grafter

Sorry to *bump* this again but I've just done a speed check with SpeedTest.Net with the following results:-
(almost twice what I'm used to ????)
My profile shows a line speed of 2000 and the router is synched at 2496.  Should I reboot to try and raise the synch speed or just leave well alone?
Hary
Grafter

Try another speedtester.
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/