cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some devices not connecting to router

ponyman1
Dabbler

Some devices not connecting to router

On Wednesday I had a power cut lasting about 30 seconds. When the power came back very few devices could connect to the router. My ipad was fine but a windows laptop couldn't connect either wired or wireless, neither could 2 iPhones or an android tablet.
I have tried powering off the router and resetting it but no joy. The router is a Thomson TG585.
Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Some devices not connecting to router

Hi Ponyman1,
Can you describe the symptoms in a little more detail please?  Exactly what happens on the PCs?  Have the PCs been rebooted?
The devices which do connect, are they wired or wireless?  Do they have self defined IP addresses or do they use DHCP?
If you do not understand these terms, please ask for clarification.
Can you post the output of ipconfig /all on a windows PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ponyman1
Dabbler

The IPAD is the only device that connects successfully. I have attached a screenshot from the IPAD. The iPhone looks similar but the IP address is 192.168.0.101 and the router and DNS shows as 192.168.0.254. The ipad works, the phone doesn't in that it won't receive mail or go to a web page. I will do an ipconfig on the PC later - that is a wired device.
ponyman1
Dabbler

This is what the router sees which doesn't mention the iPhone!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ponyman1
The iPhone looks similar but the IP address is 192.168.0.101 and the router and DNS shows as 192.168.0.254.

There's you're problem - The iPhone isn't connected to your network.
Is the iPhone definitely connected to your SSID?
Have you got any Powerline adapters?  If so, reset the security on them!  I suspect that you're connecting to a neighbours network via the mains...
Edit: What do you see if you try and open 192.168.0.254 in a browser on your iPhone or your laptop?
Edit 2:  What Apple device is on 192.168.1.207?  Have you extended your network using an Airport device?  Has this reset and the DHCP server has become enabled?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The iPhone looks similar but the IP address is 192.168.0.101 and the router and DNS shows as 192.168.0.254.
Ah! , the iPhone is conecting to a different wifi network, its getting an IP address in the 191.168.0.x subnet whereas the iPad has one in the 192.168.1.x subnet. I suspect that during the power cut the Iphone has connected to a nearby unsecured wifi network automatically, likely a BT Fon network and now has that as it's preferred network. You probably nedd to delete that connection on the iPhone and then try searching for other networks and connect to your own one again. ( sorry don't know how exactly to do that since I don't have an iPhone.
As to the wired PC, then I'm at a loss at the moment, we'll wait and see the ipconfig results...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ponyman1
Dabbler

I went away for the weekend and came back to everything working! Before I went, I disconnected the iphone, told it to forget the network and tried again about 4 times but it kept coming back with a 192.188.0. address.
Have you extended your network using an Airport device?  Has this reset and the DHCP server has become enabled?

I don't know what an Airport device is, but I have got a wireless access point (wired) well out of the range of the primary router - could this have caused the problem somehow?