Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some advice please

Jovetic
Grafter

Some advice please

Hi guys,
Just switched over to your Pro package today from Virgin.  Although in my 2 years with Virgin i only experienced 2 disconects i was always faced with Traffic shaping, limited to 512kbps every evening and horrible ping rates for gaming, i mean my ping to you now is over 1k.  I have recently joined a Pro gaming team, will your package resolve my issues do you think?
I know i will always suffer due to what ever assholes on my line hog the shit out of it when they get home from work, but from what i understand my gaming traffic will now be priortised from Xbox and PC?
Cuz i am simply refusing to play atm due the lag kills, im fed up yanks thinking their better just because their ping is superior, i need an edge, help Smiley
Thanks guys, looking forward to being with you. (Your service i mean ofc) Smiley
DSL  Down  Up
Current Rate:  6560 kbs  448 kbs 
Max Rate:  6560 kbs  944 kbs 
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:  9.0 dB  22.0 dB 
Current Attenuation:  37.4 dB  21.5 dB 
Current Output Power:  19.8 dBm  12.1 dBm 

ATM  Cells  Errors  %
Transmit:  550418063  0  0
Receive:  540913697  0  0

IP  Bytes  Packets  Errors  %
Transmit:  3750628785  37387186  0  0
Receive:  3303674539  36065929  0  0

Jovetic@plusdsl.net
20 REPLIES 20
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: Some advice please

Looking at your stats, the gaming package would most likely help.
Your IP traffic will be priority on the Plusnet network, and you have excellent noise margins and no sign of any errors.
If PN have interleaving switched on your account, it could boost your pings a fair amount, since your line appears to be very stable and you have a high synch rate.
Hope this helps!
Jovetic
Grafter

Ooops sincere apolgies for the swearing, i type as i speak and forget to remove it Tongue
Thanks for the response, earlier i pinged Plus net after purchasing their package, it was around 54ms.  Now in the evening:
Pinging [212.159.8.2] 10 times with: 64 bytes of data
ping successful: icmp_seq=0 time=1043 ms
ping successful: icmp_seq=1 time=1005 ms
ping successful: icmp_seq=2 time=1035 ms
ping successful: icmp_seq=3 time=1112 ms
ping timed out
ping timed out
ping timed out
ping successful: icmp_seq=7 time=864 ms
ping successful: icmp_seq=8 time=837 ms
ping successful: icmp_seq=9 time=794 ms
And this is when i like to Game with friends and co, you can see why i had to leave.
mcgurka
Grafter

Oh dear, if that was on the stats above, with no load, im prepared to say you had a serious connection problem.
I  have heard of some cases whereby BT actually throttle the speed, even though to PN and you it shows as 6.5Mbit.
Its usually quite a severe restriction, Ie 128Kbit Downstream, which could possibly generate the problems you have /or have had?
Jovetic
Grafter

Yup, i spent three days trying to get to stage three on the BT Speed test, after 16:00 each day i would drop below 400 required limit to get to stage two in testing, usually hitting around 140. Between 12 and 2 pm each day i would get great pings and would notice the diffeence in game stats.  Anything after and im a sitting duck, watchign replays you can see i am not even shooting the guy i thoguht was in front of me, he is actually behind me lol.
Yet during the day i can connect up to 7158 on the router with downloads sustaining 650kps and stay like that for hours with no disconects.  Awesome in day, rubbish in nights.
No good for the working lot.
mcgurka
Grafter

Oh dear, are you still with Pn, or did you leave? If you are still with us maybe someone from PN can pick this up, they are usually pretty good at helping on the forums?
If you have left, then apologies on behalf of Plusnet for all of the problems you have had.
zubel
Community Veteran

I think he's migrating into Plus.
One thing I can guarantee, is that if the problems persist once you have migrated in then you will have a  team of people both here on the forums, and at Plusnet who will want your problems solved so you can have a trouble free internet connection.
That's worth a million.
When is your migration date?  I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
B.
Jovetic
Grafter

Apologies, i have not made myself clear, i am in the process of transfering to PN from Virgin.  (Still on virgins servers for the time being) Was just querying if anyone could say weather or not i would receive improved gaming and evening service from PN over Virgin ect.  From what i ahve read i can see this may eb the case, hopefully Smiley  I love the CS so far thoguh from reading over the forums, nice community in overall Smiley
No sure what my migration date is, gave them my very difficult to get from Virgin CS MAC code yesterday morning.
Jovetic
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
I think he's migrating into Plus.
One thing I can guarantee, is that if the problems persist once you have migrated in then you will have a  team of people both here on the forums, and at Plusnet who will want your problems solved so you can have a trouble free internet connection.
That's worth a million.
When is your migration date?  I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
B.

Thanks,
I know good CS when i see it, and i can see its here.  I used to work in a BT Datacentre in Cardiff.  I an remember seeing the evening shift playing a game on the phones quite frequently called "Bounce the call" Basically they would bounce a call around the office using the not ready button, who ever it rang off on would have to answer the next call. Explains a lot really Tongue
mcgurka
Grafter

Best thing I heard of having also worked with business DSL support with BT was the 'BT Shunt', pretty much, who could come up with the best reason to shunt calls to another department.
I remember one guy telling a customer the phrase, and I quote ' ahh yes, it seems you have a line problem. There seems to be giant squirrels knawing at your local exchange, you will have to report this as a voice fault.'
Yes, you will see improved pings, especially on the gaming package! EG, here are my pings to the same server as yours, and I dont use the Pro Package!

Pinging 212.159.8.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.8.2: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.8.2: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.8.2: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.8.2: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=250

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 46ms
But any problems you have, just give somebody a shout on here!
Longy
Dabbler

I migrated from Virgin Media ADSL over a week a go to the gamer pro package and I'm very happy with the service - mind you anything was better than VM! they must be the worst ISP on the planet! average ping with them on games was 300ms on plusnet my average ping is 20ms!! and from what I read VM are just getting worse and worse!
Jovetic
Grafter

Giant Squirrels lol, mine is 50 ms this morning.  Will be over 1k tonight though. Cant wait to be migrated now, can get back on line and trainign with the guys then.
mcgurka
Grafter

Well to be fair their cable is alright, I have VM at my home, cant get DSL there, and I find the service not too bad really, the only thing I am aware on the DSL package, which is not apparent at all on cable, is the blatent overloading of bandwidth!
Im lucky enough to know the guy who installed me, so I got put on my own line card, but for anyone else, its probably worse.
To be honest, I did say things like this would happen with VM took over telewest and NTL.
NTL Didnt invest in their network, and overloaded with customers, telewest (scotland) DID invest, but didnt get the customers and end result was they got better service.
But oh no, here comes Mr Branson to ruin it for the whole of Scotland, by throwing us in with, well, NTHell, and completely dragging down the entire image.
Funniest thing is, VM are now loosing money on the cable network, and are trying to punt it on.
*rant over*
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Welcome to PN, as you can see most people on here are friendly and will answer any questions you have. Those pings should be coming down when you get activated with us Smiley
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/18/virgin_media_national_outage/
Fetch my lollerskates and head for the roflcopter, etc. etc. Smiley
B.