cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Anyone know how to manually set the DNS Servers on a BT2700HGV?

hadden
Grafter

[Solved] Anyone know how to manually set the DNS Servers on a BT2700HGV?

I've been using a BT2700HGV (firmware: 6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm) for the past couple of weeks.
I managed the known workaround to get it working with my Plusnet login details, but I've not managed to change the DNS Server settings to allow me to set them manually.
I was wondering if any other Plusnet users of this router have managed to do it?

When I try to change the DNS Server settings on the Link Configuration page, I check the "Manually specify your DNS information" option and then enter the primary server and secondary server IP addresses. I leave the domain name field blank and then click the Save button.
The system login page shows next so I enter the password (which I had previously modified from the original default) and click Login.
I am then returned to the Link Configuration page but with an "Errors" banner with the sub-text " Invalid PPP username." and the DNS server details back to the default "Obtain DNS information automatically" setting. Sad
I have also tried the "I forgot the password" option on the system login page but that also fails.
So, can anybody suggest a way yo make this work?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone know how to manually set the DNS Servers on a BT2700HGV?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks like it solves your problem - http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/031.htm
hadden
Grafter

@purleigh - Thanks for your suggestions but I think those are solutions to "stop BT from updating the firmware" and "unlock router for a non-BT ISP" respectively, and don't appear to include "how to manually set the DNS Servers". They are also for the older version 5.* firmware, and I am using version 6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm (as above Smiley ).
Anonymous
Not applicable

itsme
Grafter

I have a 2700HGV and have set it up to use OpenDNS.
You have to set it up exactly the same as when you did the work around for the username and password. Which I assume that you did it this way? http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/063.htm#Setting%20up%20New%20Connection%20for%20all%20ISPs Obviously the section showing Obtain DNS information automatically  you do not follow Wink
hadden
Grafter

Yes, I did use the workaround for the username and password that you indicate.
I followed the section for BT IPstream service (eg. BT, Zen, PlusNet, IDnet, Entanet etc) as Plusnet is my ISP.
However, I note that the alternative section for all ISPs includes the setting for DNS servers.
I assume that you used the latter instruction. Wink
I will try this later today at a time more suitable for disconnecting/connecting my ADSL. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there any reason why you don't just set the DNS servers you want on your PC(s)? It then becomes irrelevant what DNS setting you have on the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
...set the DNS servers you want on your PC(s)?

I have been considering that, but there are multiple devices accessing the internet - PCs, smartphone, television, media player, etc. and I was looking for a single action solution Smiley before going down that route (no pun intended Wink ).
hadden
Grafter

Just to confirm, that's the DNS servers changed now to 212.159.13.50 & 208.67.220.220.
Thanks itsme for making me reconsider the original instructions.  Smiley
I changed my plusnet username back to an invalid BT style username, so that the Link Configuration page worked (with the DNS servers changed).
Then I repeated the workaround to put my plusnet username back again.