cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solutions - let us know what you did

Tony_W
Grafter

Solutions - let us know what you did

A plea to customer support and network engineers.
When you find the solution to a support ticket - please give us a brief description of the cause and the solution. Just a couple of lines would do.
At the start of July I experienced problems with the CGI server wrongly appending data to a text file.
When it was solved (after 5 days) I asked:
Please could you provide a (very) brief description of the problem/solution so that if it happens again, I can provide that as a suggestion.

Customer support replied 4 hours later:
The problem occurred due to some teething problems with the platform that have been ironed out, the issue should not re-occur.

Well, at about midnight on Monday night, the issue did re-occur.
I raised a ticket and pointed them to the previous ticket saying that the problem was the same and to look at the solution employed at that time.
Guess what - the latest reply says:
As so far my investigations have not turned-up anything I've asked our CCGI engineers to take a look at the issue to see if they can locate the cause.
I'm not aware of any recent changes to the CCGI systems which could be causing this issue.

If they had told me the solution originally, I could have suggested this to the current investigators - even is I was not technically capable of understanding it.
I like Bob's style, for example in the 'email delays' thread. He explains what went wrong and what is being done to put it right.
So please - treat us like intelligent adults and let us know how you solve the faults that we report.
9 REPLIES 9
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Solutions - let us know what you did

Well, I'm 100% with you on that one - It should be happening, and it's pretty lax when it doesn't.
I can't promise to make everyone change for the better overnight, but I will raise this internally now.
Ian
Tony_W
Grafter

Thank you for your moral support, PJ and Ianwild.
I too would have hoped that a comprehensive logging system was in place for system faults. A searchable log of such faults and solutions would enable engineers to find out what a different engineer had done previously when faced with similar situation.
It would prevent duplicated effort, allow fault frequency tracking, generate a speedier outcome for customers and save engineers time in the long run.
It has now been almost 24 hours since my ticket was 'escalated' to the CCGI engineers with no information forthcoming. I realise that writing back saying 'it is still being investigated' would take time and effort, but customers would at least know that they had not been forgotten.
Tony
Tony_W
Grafter

IanWild
I will raise this internally now

Would it be worth creating a suggestion on the PlusNet User Group 'issue tracker' (http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/) about better documentation of faults and solutions - perhaps including providing brief customer feedback?
It might carry more weight if you, as a member of PlusNet Staff, posted it to PUG.
Tony
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Tony
Would it be worth creating a suggestion on the PlusNet User Group 'issue tracker' (http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/) about better documentation of faults and solutions - perhaps including providing brief customer feedback?

Thanks for the suggestion - in fact preparations for raising a PUGIT on this issue are in hand (by PUGIT Admin not PN).  Posts to that effect, are in the "The PUG Place" forum under topic "Suggestions for additional Policy and Procedure Documents".
You might recognise some of the text in this post within that topic - hope you agree the editing captures the essence of your comments.
Raising the PUGIT is taking longer than expected since another long-running saga mentioned in the topic is still running - not exactly one of PN's finest hours in my view.  It was felt resolution of that would help to define what the deliverable should be from the PUGIT.
Further comments in that "Suggestions" topic are most welcome.  Comments here are being watched and as will be seen are being noted and taken into account.
David
David
Tony_W
Grafter

I said before that customers should not feel that they have been forgotten....
It has been 5 days since the last reply from support (CS Agent Name Removed) which finished:
I hope to have further updates for you shortly

Each reply comes with a paragraph about referring your friends to PlusNet. I could not recommend PlusNet under these circumstances.
Tony - business customer
With F9/PlusNet for 10 years
Moderators note by James_H : Removed agents name - posting these is not allowed. : link:rules
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've given the networks team a nudge for you, and hopefully you'll have a response shortly.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Ian Wild says on 5th Sept.
"Well, I'm 100% with you on that one - It should be happening, and it's pretty lax when it doesn't.
I can't promise to make everyone change for the better overnight, but I will raise this internally now".
OK Ian --- how about a follow up on that? Surely your remarks are a serious condemnation of what has not happened.
Is the ethos at PlusNet too friendly?
There must be someone who can say 'you will in future do something about this' --- and make sure that it is done.
The customer surely is entitled to an assurance and a personal message saying that action has been taken.
Perhaps an apology might be in order too. Be 100% sure that the customer gets what he/she is paying for. Don't be 'lax' yourself.
Personal contact always exceeds these 'public' statements of grief. Try to make PlusNet a personal service. It may be difficult but it is worth a try.
Tony_W
Grafter

Well, its still not sorted - 2 weeks later and over twice as long as the original occurrence.
There was a gap of 8 days with no communication from support. Followed by ...
I've checked through past tickets and can't see what was actually done to resolve your issues in the past.

and a series of tests for me to try.
By the way, has anyone else noticed hanging FTP transfers from the CGI server recently?
I have also has intermittent 'page not found' errors when using a browser to access pages hosted on the CGI server.
Tony - business customer
With F9/PlusNet for 10 years
James
Grafter

Hi Tony,
Sorry to hear this one is dragging out a bit.  The Networks guy responded to your ticket yesterday and I can see that you have since responded.  I've asked him to have another look for you and hopefully you should have a response soon.