cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So sick of BT I am leaving plusnet

backtogeek
Grafter

So sick of BT I am leaving plusnet

So after months of my ip profile jumping up and down (Mainly DOWN) I have had enough and will be moving over to Sky Broadband (LLU)
I know this is not directly plusnets fault but frankly I just dont belive they challenge BT enough on issues, post after post after post is made on a daily basis and I am sure tickets are raised too regarding IP Profiles and nothing is being done about it.
After a 2 VERY brief power cuts last week and a BT engineer playing in the cabinet over the last few days (I assume part of the 21CN upgrade about to happen, but just guessing) the BT magic box has decided to raise my SNR to 15.
I know stability is important but after perhaps 6 or 7 reconnects (not including the last hour) over the last 680+ hours of my router being on I just will not accept the perhaps combined 1 minute of down time or 0.001% as a stability issue.
My IP profile is now back down to 1500 from 1750 and in reality I have been syncing way higher than the mark to get a 2000 profile which never happened.
I logged in to my router tonight after suffering worse than normal speeds and found that my sync speed was terrible and my SNR was sky high forcing me to get the netgear DG834 v4 out so I could over ride the SNR.
before:
Connection Speed 1184 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 15.5 db 8.0 db
After:
Connection Speed 2528 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 3.6 db 8.0 db

and the speedtester:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
656 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 656 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2592 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps

So I will be contacting SKY in the morning to switch, I know BT are still very much in the picture but at least Sky will have a bit more control.
Laters Plusnet.

2 REPLIES 2
linux
Grafter

Re: So sick of BT I am leaving plusnet

I too am perplexed by the IP profile. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with line stability per se.
Here is BT's explanation:
The BRAS profiles on BT Wholesale network are set to align with calculated IP throughputs for different line rates. The BRAS limits the amount of IP data sent down a line to ensure that BT do not try and transmit more IP data than the line rate can support, as doing so will mean data being discarded in an uncontrolled manner. This uncontrolled discard can cause applications to resend the data, effectively reducing the amount of data (and thus throughput) than can be achieved. The BRAS profile is always greater than the IP throughput on any line.

In short, to avoid "reducing the amount of data" transmitted when the line rate reduces, the BRAS "limits the amount of IP data sent down a line". Huh?
It is not the "applications" which typically resend data, it is the underlying network protocols. Discarding and resending packets is exactly what various Internet protocols - in particular TCP - were designed to do. So what is the justification for the IP profile?
backtogeek
Grafter

Re: So sick of BT I am leaving plusnet

Indeed.
I know at the root of it all its BT's way of limiting bandwidth under the vale of stability. and I know there is more to it than that but at least with an LLU provider you get the speed you sync at.