cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So frustrated by Plusnet right now!

Rusco

So frustrated by Plusnet right now!

Hi all,
I've recently moved from talktalk to plusnet. With TT I had no issue at all with broadband.
The first few weeks with Plusnet were fine. But of late my d/l speed has reduced to 0.2mb!!! Reading through it appears due to DLM and my router being switched off? Can anything be done on this? I cannot even find how to log a support ticket and the support chat closes at 9pm!
Right at the time I need my net connection for some important work. Please help! Very annoyed here.
Russ
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: So frustrated by Plusnet right now!

Hi Russ,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear of your speed problems.
In the first instance self help is best with speed problems.  Please look at the speed issues thread (link below) and post the requested information here.
If you want to raise a problem report, use the link below.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rusco

I appreciate what you are saying townman, but right now I'm busy working 9-9. I have no time to start digging into technicals, yet require the net when i get home for work. You say run tests but my internet is so painfully slow I cannot run anything, it would take me half the day. This is what Plusnet service says (after 5 minutes loading the page)...
Estimated line speed:
    17Mb (This may vary between 10Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-07-08 21:49:52
Current line speed:
    0.2 Mb
I don't need any test to tell me that isn't right after having zero issues likes this with talktalk over years. I cannot see where to raise an online ticket in relation to broadband service, only other issues.
Having a very quick read my router is turned off every night. I suspect this may have effected DLM.
Is there a quick fix to this? Or some simple steps to take? Can you give me a direct link to open a ticket on this issue so at least i can get some action while I'm working?
Frustrated here.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

1. Turning off the router is very unhelpful - it will cause the DLM to be overly aggressive and quite likely to cause the line to be banded
2. I gave you a direct link to raise a fault report - see broadband fault link below
3. The fault reporting process will require you to follow much of the advice in the speed issues thread - this is to mitigate the risks of being charged by BTOR in the event that the problem is found to be in your equipment (including internal wiring)
4. If you are unwilling to undertake full self help at least posting the router stats will help confirm that you have a raw synch issue and the potential speed of your line
Is there noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2; it should be near silent.  If not raise a phone fault report - again see the links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

juzzyp
Dabbler

You might want to pop over to the Fibre forums, we're all finding it very interesting.
I've also experienced these speed slowdown and already done all the tests and still get incredible slow speeds across all gateways.
Look for "capacity issues" in the Fibre forums.
Try and test your line outside of peak (early morning, afternoon) and then in peak (anything from 5pm onwards and see what happens)
Good luck....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

the fact that the current line speed is 0.2Mbps would indicate that this is nothing to do with the capacity issues Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Rusco
Can you give me a direct link to open a ticket on this issue so at least i can get some action while I'm working?

http://faults.plus.net
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Rusco
Your line was banded by DLM due to drops in connection. From reviewing logs, it appears to suggest that your router was being powered off when not in use a few times a day.  Recently you have started to leave the router powered on and I recommend that you continue to do this.
Once a line becomes so badly banded at 200kb as yours was, then DLM will not automatically increase the line access speed again.  I've reset the line and your connection rates should return to normal.
Please get back to us if you need further assistance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you must turn the router off then you should do so at most once per day - i.e. turn on when first needed and turn off just before you go to bed.
From information I've seen in the past probably less than 1% of users ever turn their router off. Remember also that electronic equipment can sometimes be damaged by repeated warming up/cooling down cycles; leaving it on all the time avoids this. I only turn mine off if I'm going to be away from home a few days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Rusco

Quote from: scrookes
@Rusco
Your line was banded by DLM due to drops in connection. From reviewing logs, it appears to suggest that your router was being powered off when not in use a few times a day.  Recently you have started to leave the router powered on and I recommend that you continue to do this.
Once a line becomes so badly banded at 200kb as yours was, then DLM will not automatically increase the line access speed again.  I've reset the line and your connection rates should return to normal.
Please get back to us if you need further assistance.

Hi,
This has resolved my issue and I am back to normal. The effective loss of broadband happened at an important time (arranging travel details) and left me frustrated. Thanks for resolving this.
With TT I always have powered down my router at night and had no issue (do so as it runs from a tower to other elect devices). I consider myself to have some tech knowledge but had no idea Plusnet used DLM in this way. Maybe worth flagging up to those who powerdown, I've not really seen to mentioned much.
thanks again,
Russ
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Russ,
It upis not the way PlusNET use DLM as you put it, rather that Is how the BTw DLM (as used by all non-LLU iSPs) works.  BTw's DLMs are configured to maintain stability as opposed to unstable highest speed.